Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Joe Stump <jo...@joestump.net> on 2005/03/22 20:16:23 UTC

svn update slow / post-commit issues

Hey all,

Just set up subversion and I'm noticing a few problems. I work for a
web company with a typical dev/live setup. I'd like post-commit to
update our dev sites, but I'm having problems - the email sends out
just fine, but this fails:

# set up our charset/locales
export LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-1
export LC_CTYPE=en_US.ISO-8859-1
cd /var/www && /usr/bin/svn update > /tmp/svn.log

Any ideas?

Also, svn update on the top level of our working directory takes
*forever* (it's a large repository at 224MB). Is there anything to
speed up this process? I'd hate to have to wait minutes to check for
updates on my dev server.

Thanks!

--Joe

--
Joseph C. Stump
joe@joestump.net

Re: svn update slow / post-commit issues

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
On Tuesday 22 March 2005 19:20, Joe Stump wrote:
> Well, I did two things to cut the update times down to nothing (well 3
> seconds via HTTP and 2 seconds using file://).
>
> 1.) Removed a directory that was filled with dynamically created
> content (ie. a new folder for each record is created in a single
> directory - legacy code - don't yell at me). This had 2500'ish
> directories each with 1-N images (about 400MB on disk).

Was the directory that you removed versioned?  I'm curious because we
should skip over an unversioned directory and avoid checking the status
on those 2500 files.  However, if the directory is versioned, there's
probably no clever way to avoid that.  Just out of curiosity, how long
does it take to do an 'ls' in that directory?

-John

Re: svn update slow / post-commit issues

Posted by Joe Stump <jo...@joestump.net>.
Well, I did two things to cut the update times down to nothing (well 3
seconds via HTTP and 2 seconds using file://).

1.) Removed a directory that was filled with dynamically created
content (ie. a new folder for each record is created in a single
directory - legacy code - don't yell at me). This had 2500'ish
directories each with 1-N images (about 400MB on disk).

2.) Switched from using my.domain.com to 192.168.1.25

I'm sure #1 had more to do with it than anything else.

--Joe

--
Joseph C. Stump
joe@joestump.net

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Joe Stump <jo...@joestump.net>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Saulius Grazulis <gr...@akl.lt>.
On Tuesday 22 March 2005 23:24, Joe Stump wrote:

> OK, I've fixed my post-commit issues, but I'm still seeing HORRIFIC
> update times over DAV. In fact, they're timing out now. Is anyone using
> svn over DAV with a repository as big as mine (~220MB)? How long do
> your updates take?

xray@delfinas: xray/ > du -hs svn-repositories/*
868M    svn-repositories/project1
24M     svn-repositories/project2
271M    svn-repositories/project3
3.6M    svn-repositories/project4
52M     svn-repositories/project5
104M    svn-repositories/project6
932k    svn-repositories/test

# the 271M project3:
saulius@kolibris: project3/ > time svn up
[ nothing to transfer ]

real    0m17.022suser    0m0.160s
sys     0m0.130s

#the 868M project1:
saulius@kolibris: project1/ > time svn update
[ transfered 2017 files, some large binary ones, ~1.4G in unpacked tree]
real    5m40.638s
user    0m38.570s
sys     1m27.310s

#the 868M project1:
saulius@kolibris: project1/ > time svn update
[ nothing to transfer ]
real    0m9.403s
user    0m0.950s
sys     0m0.090s

Does not seem that slow...

CPU:
on delfinas: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+
on kolibris: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1700MHz

HDD: IDE, DMA on
Repository protocol: svn+ssh

Nothing special...

Are you sure your name server is set up correctly? Ssh, in my hands, has
*huge* timeouts when I have a default route set up and can not reach
nameserver...

--
Saulius Gražulis

Visuomeninė organizacija "Atviras Kodas Lietuvai"
P.Vileišio g. 18
LT-10306 Vilnius
Lietuva (Lithuania)

tel/fax:      (+370-5)-210 40 05
mobilus:      (+370-684)-49802, (+370-614)-36366

Re: svn update slow / post-commit issues

Posted by Joe Stump <jo...@joestump.net>.

Posted by Robert Mohr <mo...@gmail.com>.