Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2010/07/24 20:22:11 UTC

Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Marvin: even though Lucy already has a Jira project setup, one thing you
do still need to do is make sure all of the committers/members have the
appropriate perms to assign/resolve issues and to administer the project
(ie: add components, add versions, add more users to the developers list,
etc...)

-Hoss

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 11:22:11AM -0700, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> Marvin: even though Lucy already has a Jira project setup, one thing you
> do still need to do is make sure all of the committers/members have the
> appropriate perms to assign/resolve issues and to administer the project

Hoss, can you now resolve <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCY-120>?

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
Same here, just got back from 2 weeks vacation - trying to keep up
with all the emails :)

simon

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
+1

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1...

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
I just encountered something similar in OODT-ville, and the answer I got
back from INFRA was that they were going to phase out the current way that
JIRA is administered and move towards ³roles² rather than ³groups² in JIRA.
See here [1] for an explanation.

I think we can add people to the developers role and we should be good. We
are reusing the same LUCY issue tracker created in Lucene space, correct? If
so, it looks like Marvin [2] is the project admin, so you should have karma
to do this...

[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCY

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: OK, after thinking about it, I don't think it will interfere with an "svn
: copy" op if I get write permission on
: <https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/lucy/> taken away.

ideally we should do an "svn mv" instead of an "svn cp" ... either way
the Lucene side of things isn't just about removing svn auth to
asf/lucene/lucy, it's about actually removing asf/lucene/lucy.  as i said:
there's no rush on that part.

-Hoss

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 05:00:45PM -0700, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
> > Heh, fair enough.  :)  I hereby hand you the baton on filing the INFRA ticket
> > for our mailing lists.
>
> Done, filed here [1].

Sweet.

> >  As for the omnibus ticket, I leave that in your hands
> > as well.
>
> I think we're OK here, we can just do it piecemeal. I think the only thing
> we're missing is M/L boostrap, + Unix groups and decommission of old
> SVN/unix info in Lucene ville (which I filed an issue for and assigned to
> Grant), here [2].

OK, after thinking about it, I don't think it will interfere with an "svn
copy" op if I get write permission on
<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/lucy/> taken away.

The one other thing I can think of is a redirect from
<http://lucene.apache.org/lucy/> to <http://incubator.apache.org/lucy/>.  If
we have Infra put a redirect in place, then it's not necessary to mod the
existing Lucy website with news about the new location.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Marvin,

>>> Maybe just #1, which I've already claimed -- let's not duplicate. :)
>>
>> I'm not proposing too. But I'm proposing rather than one Death-star like
>> issue to rule them all, how about some separate traceable activities that
>> you can farm out and not be the single point of failure on?
>
> Heh, fair enough.  :)  I hereby hand you the baton on filing the INFRA ticket
> for our mailing lists.

Done, filed here [1].

>  As for the omnibus ticket, I leave that in your hands
> as well.

I think we're OK here, we can just do it piecemeal. I think the only thing
we're missing is M/L boostrap, + Unix groups and decommission of old
SVN/unix info in Lucene ville (which I filed an issue for and assigned to
Grant), here [2].

> Below, you'll find the text I was planning to use for the mailing list ticket
> [...]

PERFECT, thanks! I used this text to file the INFRA issue [1].

Cheers,
Chris

[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2563

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 01:51:29PM -0700, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
> >> 3. Wiki (needs to move to incubator space?)
> >
> > I don't think it will have to move, though we may need to insert the
> > incubation disclaimer on the front page.  My preference is that it stay where
> > it is.
>
> Hmm, OK, sounds fine to me. It's already at it's pseudo-TLP place here [1]
> anyways, so +1.
>

> > I have to step out right now, but full rationale will follow in another mail.
>
> No need! It's fine, and no need for more time spent writing instead of
> coding :)

:)

There are still a couple other issues related to the wiki that will
necessitate a new thread, anyway.

> >> So, to me it looks like we need INFRA help with #1 and maybe #3, right? If
> >> so, I'll handle filing the issues.
> >
> > Maybe just #1, which I've already claimed -- let's not duplicate. :)
>
> I'm not proposing too. But I'm proposing rather than one Death-star like
> issue to rule them all, how about some separate traceable activities that
> you can farm out and not be the single point of failure on?

Heh, fair enough.  :)  I hereby hand you the baton on filing the INFRA ticket
for our mailing lists.  As for the omnibus ticket, I leave that in your hands
as well.

Below, you'll find the text I was planning to use for the mailing list ticket
(which was mostly written up as of last night); please use it as you see fit.
The only item we're theoretically waiting on at this point is Simon's
confirmation of his listmod address; in my view, we can go ahead and come back
later in the event that Simon wants to use a different address.

Marvin Humphrey

forwards in place for the old lists:

    * lucy-dev@lucene.a.o     -> lucy-dev@incubator.a.o
    * lucy-users@lucene.a.o   -> lucy-users@incubator.a.o
    * lucy-commits@lucene.a.o -> lucy-commits@incubator.a.o

Please set up a new "lucy-private" list for us as well, with moderated
subscriptions:

    * lucy-private@incubator.a.o

Additionally, please set up a new "lucy-issues" list for us with followups set
to lucy-dev@incubator.a.o, and change notifications for the existing Lucy JIRA
installation to point at it:

    * lucy-issues@incubator.a.o

Lastly, we would like to have subject prefixes matching the list name set up
for each of our lists.

    * [lucy-dev]
    * [lucy-users]
    * [lucy-commits]
    * [lucy-private]
    * [lucy-issues]

The moderators for these lists will be as follows:

    * peter AT peknet DOT com
    * simon.willnauer AT gmail DOT com
    * chris.a.mattmann AT jpl DOT nasa DOT gov
    * lucene AT mikemccandless DOT com
    * marvin AT rectangular DOT com

Thanks!

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Marvin,

Comments below:

>> Yep, but let's be specific. What do you think should be LUCY Jira issues
>> versus INFRA issues?
>
> I care about getting the individual sub-issues right, and I care about
> updating the checklist at <http://incubator.apache.org/projects/lucy.html>.  I
> don't have strong opinions about whether or where we perform additional
> omnibus tracking.  If others do, though, I'm happy to dot a few extra i's and
> cross a few extra t's.

I'm not proposing extra tracking, I'm just letting you know what I
understand to be a requirement of getting things done, watching as an
Incubator mentor. If you have some magic way to get INFRA to take care of
things for you without JIRA, by all means, but I would prefer items being
tracked in JIRA, for reporting purposes (makes it easier when I sign off on
podling reports on the wiki).

>> existing subscriptions to new lists). I'd imagine this also includes
>> decommissioning of the old Lucene M/Ls for Lucy as they shouldn't be needed
>> any longer and per the Incubator resolution for Lucy, the Lucene PMC is no
>> longer cognizant over.
>
> When Infra "migrates" mailing lists, it looks like they put forwards in place
> on the old lists.

Right, I know this, but I wouldn't assume, I'd make it explicit. All I'm
asking is that we be explicit and not assume "they'll know."

>> 2. SVN (did Hoss take care of this already?)
>
> It's not done until we all have commit access and everything in the existing
> repository under lucene/lucy has moved over.  IIUC, we're waiting for someone
> within the Incubator with sufficient karma to take certain actions.  For now
> I'm relying on Hoss to keep that ball rolling.

Right, I get this too.  My comment was more "did Hoss have enough karma to
do it?" Seems like no, and we're still waiting at this point, which is fine.

>> 3. Wiki (needs to move to incubator space?)
>
> I don't think it will have to move, though we may need to insert the
> incubation disclaimer on the front page.  My preference is that it stay where
> it is.

Hmm, OK, sounds fine to me. It's already at it's pseudo-TLP place here [1]
anyways, so +1.

> I have to step out right now, but full rationale will follow in another mail.

No need! It's fine, and no need for more time spent writing instead of
coding :)

>> 4. Lucy UNIX groups under Incubator karma, removal of Lucy Lucene karma
>> rules (I think Hoss took care of this already)
>
> I think orderly shutdown of the existing Lucy Lucene subproject website, svn,
> etc needs to wait until everything is set up under incubator.

Nope, it's actually part of setting stuff up in the Incubator. Note the TIKA
issue that you referenced. It was a sub-task and separate issue.

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Yeah it's just weird b/c there are a bunch of eventual TLPs/etc. or sub-projects in there and seems like the permissions should be more granular. Oh well...

On 7/25/10 10:02 PM, "Chris Hostetter" <ho...@fucit.org> wrote:

: Wow, seriously????

It's not that big of a shoker -- There aren't (suppose to be) any
"umbrella projects" in the ASF, therefore the Incubator is, officially,
one project.

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Wow, seriously????

On 7/25/10 6:11 PM, "Chris Hostetter" <ho...@fucit.org> wrote:

: Yeah not sure myself. I'll send an email to general@incubator asking if
: there is anything that needs to be done on that end. The reason I ask is
: that e.g., if we wanted to update our incubator website, at
: http://incubator.apache.org/lucy/ I would imagine that they only want e.g.,
: the Lucy Incubator PPMC to have write access to that dir, rather than e.g.,
: the OODT podling. So, there has to be some level of permissions there, I
: think.

Except there isn't...

hossman@minotaur$ pwd
/www/incubator.apache.org
hossman@minotaur$ ls -l | head
total 1051
-rw-rw-r--   1 fielding     incubator     263 Nov 11  2006 WARNING.txt
drwxrwsr-x   6 apbackup     incubator      11 Dec  4  2008 abdera
drwxrwsr-x  10 bdelacretaz  incubator      56 Jul 26 01:01 ace
drwxrwsr-x  34 apbackup     incubator     445 Feb  6  2007 activemq
drwxrwsr-x   5 apbackup     incubator      20 Nov 27  2005 agila
drwxrwsr-x   2 dwoods       incubator       2 May 19 17:43 amber
drwxr-xr-x  11 gnodet       incubator      79 Jun  2 13:49 aries
drwxrwsr-x   3 rdonkin      incubator     148 Jul 24 18:20 audit
drwxrwsr-x   2 apbackup     incubator       3 Aug 25  2005 beehive

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Yo Hoss,

> : 2. SVN (did Hoss take care of this already?)
>
> Lucy's new incubator SV dir exists, and per the email reply i just got
> from ant on the private@incubator list the karma changes i requested are
> all finishd -- which means all of the Lucy Podling committers/mentors with
> existing apache accounts should now be able to commit to the new
> repository, as well as to the incubator website -- which includes updating
> the Lucy project status report...
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/lucy/
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/

+1!

> (Peter & Nate: once your accounts are created i'll need to poke the IPMC
> to add your svn karma as well)
>
> : 4. Lucy UNIX groups under Incubator karma, removal of Lucy Lucene karma
> : rules (I think Hoss took care of this already)
>
> ant (the person) took care of the SVN groups/auth as i mentioned above --
> i have no idea what is involved in adding UNIX groups, that's not
> mentioned anywhere in the bootstraping docs.  (my understanding is that
> there is a single "incubator" unix group, not individual grops per
> podling)

Yeah not sure myself. I'll send an email to general@incubator asking if
there is anything that needs to be done on that end. The reason I ask is
that e.g., if we wanted to update our incubator website, at
http://incubator.apache.org/lucy/ I would imagine that they only want e.g.,
the Lucy Incubator PPMC to have write access to that dir, rather than e.g.,
the OODT podling. So, there has to be some level of permissions there, I
think.

> I also did nothing to remove/modify the existing "Lucene Lucy" svn karma
> settings -- i definitely think that should wait until the podling is
> bootstraped, and everything is migrated to the new SVN dir -- then it
> should be something the Lucene PMC Chair is reponsible for.

Right, +1.

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Marvin,

Thanks. Comments below:

>> Did you file a JIRA issue in the INFRA space to roll up all the other issues
>> like mailing lists, SVN, etc. Looks like you found the one I did for Tika -
>> why not just create something similar? If you already have, can you pass
>> along the ticket key so I (and others) could monitor it?
>
> I have not yet opened an omnibus issue to track the infrastructure aspect of
> the podling bootstrapping.  I think you mean like
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-2692>?  That one was filed by
> Gavin, though you seem to have filed all the sub-issues.

Yep, I filed all the sub-issues and Gav rolled it up.

> It seems like using LUCY Jira might be more appropriate, since some of the
> tasks -- e.g. our mods to Lucy's Jira :) -- don't seem to require Infra
> involvement.

Yep, but let's be specific. What do you think should be LUCY Jira issues
versus INFRA issues? Here's what I see as INFRA required:

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Marvin,

On 7/24/10 11:48 AM, "Marvin Humphrey" <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 11:22:11AM -0700, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> Marvin: even though Lucy already has a Jira project setup, one thing you
> do still need to do is make sure all of the committers/members have the
> appropriate perms to assign/resolve issues and to administer the project
> (ie: add components, add versions, add more users to the developers list,
> etc...)

I've added all mentors and committers to the "Project Role: Committers" and
"Project Role: PMC".

As of this moment I'm still the only person with "Project Role:
Administrators".  I'm not sure how that permission is normally handed out, but
I seem to recall that not all Lucene committers have the same level of JIRA
karma.  Anybody know what the deal is with that?

I'm also expecting to edit the JIRA project URL once incubator.apache.org/lucy
exists.

Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.