Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk> on 2017/12/10 07:35:47 UTC

[DISCUSS] Allowing write access to GitHub repositories

Hi all,

The Apache Infra team has started a new project earlier this year called
GitBox that supports two-way synchronization between GitHub and
git-wip-us.apache.org and, most importantly, provides GitHub write access
to committers. GitBox is not generally available yet, but individual
projects can ask to be migrated.

I think we should migrate kafka and kafka-site to GitBox. The main benefit
is that pull request management will be hugely improved for committers:

1. Reviewers functionality will become available

2. Pull requests will be assignable to GitHub users

3. We will be able to assign labels to issues

4. We will be able to merge pull requests directly via GitHub instead of
using the merge script

5. Committers will be able to close old and stale PRs

6. We will be able to use protected branches to restrict merges via GitHub
to only be allowed if tests pass and the PR has been approved by at least
one committer

A couple of potential downsides:

1. To avoid weird behaviour (even though two way synchronization exists),
we'd want all committers to always push to GitHub, but this won't be
enforced. That is, git-wip-us.apache.org will still be writable. Given the
small number of active committers, this seems to be a minor issue.

2. If we decide to drop the merge script in favour of GitHub, some of the
functionality will have to be done manually. GitHub supports "squash and
merge" via the UI, so the main things that will have to be done manually
are (1) Ensuring that the commit message follows the right format (2) Close
the JIRA ticket. I think this is OK, but we could allow both options (merge
and GitHub UI). If we want to allow both options, we'd just change the
default push repository in the script to be GitHub.

All in all, I think this is a clear improvement and fixes a lot of the pull
request management pain points we've been facing. Given that, I'd like to
move quickly, if possible.

Please share your thoughts below and if people are in favour, I'll start a
vote.

Ismael

Re: [DISCUSS] Allowing write access to GitHub repositories

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Thanks. Since this seems like a clear win I'll start the vote thread. Any
other thoughts are welcome, of course.

Ismael

Posted by Damian Guy <da...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ismael,

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good to me.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [DISCUSS] Allowing write access to GitHub repositories

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Thanks Guozhang.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [DISCUSS] Allowing write access to GitHub repositories

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.