Posted to user@oodt.apache.org by Thomas Bennett <lm...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/16 16:25:45 UTC

How can I update a filemanager's catalogue?

Hi,

I've recently created a Lucene file manager catalog. I cataloged about 2000
files "in place", but have encountered a problem.

>From the fmbrowser some of the files are listed as being:

Product        Transfer Status    Percent Complete Received Time References
 Metadata
1287587805.h5 RECEIVED     100%         UNKNOWN        View References
  View Metadata
1287353769.h5 RECEIVED    *0%*                 UNKNOWN        View
References     View Metadata
1287355996.h5 RECEIVED    *0%*                 UNKNOWN        View
References     View Metadata
1287425397.h5 RECEIVED     100%         UNKNOWN        View References
View Metadata

The problem lies with the two products that show % complete being 0%.

When I use fmprod to download the product:

wget http://..../fmprod/data?productID=26b9cb0b-c5dd-11e1-bb9f-036596780c6e<http://kat-archive.kat.ac.za:8983/fmprod/data?productID=26b9cb0b-c5dd-11e1-bb9f-036596780c6e>

I get:
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 500 Internal Server Error
2012-07-14 20:20:38 ERROR 500: Internal Server Error.

So I'd like to "edit" the lucene catalog to update this piece of metadata
to reflect that the % complete is 100. Are there any tools available to do
this?

Also at some point I must figure out why its happening :)

Cheers,
Tom

Re: How can I update a filemanager's catalogue?

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Tom,

On Jul 16, 2012, at 9:25 AM, Thomas Bennett wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've recently created a Lucene file manager catalog. I cataloged about 2000 files "in place", but have encountered a problem.
>
> From the fmbrowser some of the files are listed as being:
>
> Product	        Transfer Status	    Percent Complete	Received Time	References	    Metadata
> 1287587805.h5	RECEIVED	    100%	        UNKNOWN	        View References	    View Metadata
> 1287353769.h5	RECEIVED	    0%	                UNKNOWN	        View References	    View Metadata
> 1287355996.h5	RECEIVED	    0%	                UNKNOWN	        View References	    View Metadata
> 1287425397.h5	RECEIVED	    100%	        UNKNOWN	        View References	    View Metadata
>
> The problem lies with the two products that show % complete being 0%.

This is because the data transfer status tracker, and the combination of it, and the data transferer
selected -- InPlaceDataTransferer doesn't notify the transfer status tracker and also doesn't update the
transfer to be 100% done, IIRC.

> When I use fmprod to download the product:
>
> wget http://..../fmprod/data?productID=26b9cb0b-c5dd-11e1-bb9f-036596780c6e
>
> I get:
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 500 Internal Server Error
> 2012-07-14 20:20:38 ERROR 500: Internal Server Error.

Yep. This is also likely due to the fact that the content size (aka FileSize) might not be set as well
b/c of the InPlaceDataTransfer and InPlaceVersioner.

If you remember, Tom, can you file a bug here so I'll remember (or someone else will) to come by
and fix it for 0.5?

> So I'd like to "edit" the lucene catalog to update this piece of metadata to reflect that the % complete is 100. Are there any tools available to do this?

Luke is the tool to use to directly edit the Lucene catalog. Unfortunately b/c the FM depends on such an old version
of Lucene, we need a way old (0.6.2 I think or 0.7.0) version of lukeall.jar to support this. In the meanwhile,
that's a stop gap, but let's try and upgrade OODT to use a newer version of Lucene for 0.5.

> Also at some point I must figure out why its happening :)

Yep we'll fix it! :)

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: How can I update a filemanager's catalogue?

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Tom,

Posted by Sheryl John <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tom,

I'm not sure if modifying the metadata will help you update the 'percent
complete' status of the file.
Since this is calculated by the filemgr (FileTransferStatus), maybe there
was something wrong with the file size or uploading.

--
-Sheryl

Re: How can I update a filemanager's catalogue?

Posted by Cameron Goodale <si...@gmail.com>.
Sheryl,

Thanks for the warning. Paul and I stumbled onto the Luke scripting feature
but didn't use them.

Lucene catalog cleansing is something we will be addressing for the snow
project. If anything useful comes out of it, we'll be sure to share.

Cameron

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Ricky,

On Jul 16, 2012, at 1:43 PM, Nguyen, Ricky wrote:

> Awhile back, I wrote a tiny Java main program to edit a Lucene catalog (attempting to clean our catalog), but discovered that once you write out v3.x, you can't read it back in with OODT.

Yep that's b/c Apache OODT uses 2.0 as you state below and the *modern* version of Luke uses 3.x. You can find older versions (e.g., 0.6.2 or 0.7) lukeall.jars that are compatible with older formats, but YMMV.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chris

P.S. Yes this sucks and we need to upgrade to the newest version of Lucene :) If no one beats me to this in 0.5 I'll do it myself :)

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Ricky,

Posted by Thomas Bennett <lm...@gmail.com>.
Hey Sheryl and Cameron,

Posted by Thomas Bennett <lm...@gmail.com>.
Hey Sheryl and Cameron,

Posted by Cameron Goodale <si...@gmail.com>.
Sheryl,

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Tom,

On Jul 17, 2012, at 7:57 AM, Thomas Bennett wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Thanks for the responses. I always appreciate the fact that post a question/problem on the forum and the next morning there are stack of replies.
>
> +1 to everyone!

Thanks dude!

> As it turns out the problem was entirely mine :-)

Well not entirely! :)

Read on below:

> However, I've discovered how the file manager works out the percentage file transferred and why it thinks the file Percentage Complete was 0%.
>
> The magic all happens with the following piece of code:
>
>     private long getBytesTransferred(Reference r) {
>         File destFile = null;
>         try {
>             destFile = new File(new URI(r.getDataStoreReference()));
>             long bytesTransferred = destFile.length();
>             return bytesTransferred;
>         } catch (URISyntaxException e) {
>             LOG.log(Level.WARNING,
>                     "URISyntaxException when checking size of destFile: ["
>                             + r.getDataStoreReference() + "]: Message: "
>                             + e.getMessage());
>             return -1L;
>         }
>     }
>
> So the file transfer size is worked out on the fly - its not stored in the catalog.
>
> The origin of the weirdness relates to my Versioner.
>
> My versioner stores files to file:/var/kat/archive/data/comm/[StartDate]/1234567890.h5
>
> My original code (pre-OODT) stored the data in the same way. However, for OODT I store my dates in UTC, and thus there is a 2 hour difference between my preOODT and OODT implementations, so for my product 1287353769.h5 the references are:
>
> origReference	"file:/var/kat/archive/data/comm/2010/10/18/1287353769.h5" (id=115)
> dataStoreReference	"file:/var/kat/archive/data/comm/2010/10/17/1287353769.h5" (id=112)
>
> Since I used the InPlaceDataTransfer the data reference was updated but the file was not moved.
>
> So files captured between midnight and 2am will now have a new reference to the time shifted directory (e.g. moved from the 18'th to the 17'th)
>
> When the %complete is calculated it uses the dataStoreReference.
>
> Is it possible for the file manager to know that the InPlaceDataTransfer has been used and that the reference should not change? I guess this would not be possible.

Yep it's possible. You can use the InPlaceVersioner, and extend it, or extend MetadataBasedVersioner and sub-class to do something similar to the InPlaceVersioner.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Chris

> On 17 July 2012 05:29, Sheryl John <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jul 16, 2012 8:26 AM, "Thomas Bennett" <lm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've recently created a Lucene file manager catalog. I cataloged about 2000 files "in place", but have encountered a problem.
> >
> > From the fmbrowser some of the files are listed as being:
> >
> > Product               Transfer Status     Percent Complete    Received Time   References          Metadata
> > 1287587805.h5 RECEIVED            100%                UNKNOWN         View References     View Metadata
> > 1287353769.h5 RECEIVED            0%                  UNKNOWN         View References     View Metadata
> > 1287355996.h5 RECEIVED            0%                  UNKNOWN         View References     View Metadata
> > 1287425397.h5 RECEIVED            100%                UNKNOWN         View References     View Metadata
> >
> > The problem lies with the two products that show % complete being 0%.
> >
> > When I use fmprod to download the product:
> >
> > wget http://..../fmprod/data?productID=26b9cb0b-c5dd-11e1-bb9f-036596780c6e
> >
> > I get:
> > HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 500 Internal Server Error
> > 2012-07-14 20:20:38 ERROR 500: Internal Server Error.
> >
> > So I'd like to "edit" the lucene catalog to update this piece of metadata to reflect that the % complete is 100. Are there any tools available to do this?
> >
> > Also at some point I must figure out why its happening :)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Tom

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
Phone: +1 (818) 354-8810

Re: How can I update a filemanager's catalogue?

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Tom,

Posted by Thomas Bennett <lm...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,

Posted by Thomas Bennett <lm...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,

Posted by Sheryl John <sh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Chris!
And +1 for upgrading to a newer version of Lucene for 0.5.

Posted by Sheryl John <sh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Chris!

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Sheryl,

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Sheryl,

Posted by Sheryl John <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Cameron,

--
-Sheryl

Re: How can I update a filemanager's catalogue?

Posted by Sheryl John <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Cameron,

--
-Sheryl

Re: How can I update a filemanager's catalogue?

Posted by Cameron Goodale <si...@gmail.com>.
Tom,

Posted by Sheryl John <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tom,

--
-Sheryl

Re: How can I update a filemanager's catalogue?

Posted by Cameron Goodale <si...@gmail.com>.
Tom,