Posted to user@avro.apache.org by Rafal Kluszczynski <ra...@allegrogroup.com> on 2017/03/15 14:24:23 UTC

Why canonical form excludes default?

Hello,

I have a question about canonical form. So far, we are storing schemas
in schema-registry service. Usually this mean, that developers use
different schema versions on dev, test or production environments. That
is why we were interested in using fingerprint as unique schema
identifier for particular version.

This, of course, mean we have to adapt schema-registry and that is OK
for us. Unfortunately, default is also stripped from original schema
which in our case is important for such tools as Hue or Presto.

Could any of you explain why default value is stripped and what is the
basic idea behind fingerprint and canonical form in current version of
Avro specification (1.8.1)?

Kind regards,

--
// Rafal Kluszczynski