Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by David King <dk...@ketralnis.com> on 2010/04/02 03:19:35 UTC

Proxy instances?

Is it possible to have Cassandra instances that serve only as proxies to the rest of the cluster, but have no storage themselves? Maybe with a keyspace length of 0?

Re: Proxy instances?

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 7:19 PM, David King <dk...@ketralnis.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to have Cassandra instances that serve only as proxies to
> the rest of the cluster, but have no storage themselves? Maybe with a
> keyspace length of 0?

contrib/client_only is what you're looking for.

-Brandon

Re: Proxy instances?

Posted by Josh <jo...@schulzone.org>.
Is the notion here that you'd run all writes/reads through that node
and let it decide where to get the data from?

I've been working on a C# client library and I've been picking a node
at random from the cluster and letting it figure things out.  Would a
setup like this be better?  Keep all the traffic load off of data
storing instances or would it be better to point at a load balancer
that does it?  Or is the carnival approach (Pick a node!  Any Node!)
better?

--
josh
@schulz