Posted to user-java@ibatis.apache.org by Rick <ri...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/05 23:35:39 UTC

Sybase sucks... I'm just sayin

Been going crazy here because a stupid DATE field when it coverts
through JDBC to Java (no matter what the java type) it converts to the
day before as something like 2001-08-26 23:59:59.997 when it should be
something like 2001-08-27 00:00:00.000. Instead it converts back  a
day by about .003 seconds or so. (changing the jdbcType in my result
map didn't help either.)

Anyway as Nathan pointed out (check is in the mail Nathan) it's
probably a driver issue. I refused to believe him since I was using
the latest jtds open source driver for Sybase. Sure enough if I go
back to the jconn3 driver (not in maven that I can find by the way..
nice), things work.

In case anyone cares, you can still use the latest jtds driver with
this work-around in your sql if you do a covert. Stupid that I have to
do it if you ask me:

convert(DATETIME, bd.broadcastDate)

Thanks for ruining my Friday Sybase.

--
Rick

Re: Sybase sucks... I'm just sayin

Posted by Ch...@sybase.com.
I'm not certain as to why it's not in the Maven repository. I can't really
comment as its outside of my realm. But I do know that the JConnect ships
with ASE. It also comes bundled with the Admin or Client set of tools. You
can find it usually located under

<Sybase Install>\<ASE-xxx>\jConnect-xxx

Like I said, I used JConnect first. I tried jTDS out of desperation once
when attempting to isolate an issue I was having. I found the jTDS driver
to be not as robust as the JConnect driver and jTDS does not provide true
XA capabilities to where as JConnect has all this functionality and it
works exceptionally well. In addition, JConnect is well documented so
usually you can find everything you need in the provided pdf Programmers
Reference guide. Also, make certain when using the JConnect driver that
you ensure that the SQL scripts are executed against the database that you
will be using. These scripts provide the functionality needed for the
JConnect driver. Sometimes these get overlooked and are required to have
everything function correctly. Each version of the JConnect driver comes
with a matching set of scripts that contain bug fixes, etc.. so they
should always be used so the SQL matches the driver.

Chris Mathrusse
christopher.mathrusse@sybase.com
Sybase, Inc
One Sybase Drive
Dublin, CA 94568
(925) 236-5553

Rick <ri...@gmail.com>
12/05/2008 04:31 PM
Please respond to
user-java@ibatis.apache.org

user-java@ibatis.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Sybase sucks... I'm just sayin

Ha thanks:) I didn't even read you signature:) Sorry for the
unwarranted sybase sucks comment in the email subject.

I'm curious though, why don't you guys have the jconnect driver in a
maven repository? If it's around in one, I haven't found it.
(Interesting had JConnect been in a maven repo in the first place, I
probably wouldn't have used the jtds driver. I only found the jtds
drive when setting up a new maven project and was looking for the
sybase driver. (Our current systems all use the Jconnect driver. I'm
at Nielsen and everything is still all Sybase. We have both ASE and IQ
installs.)

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 6:52 PM,  <Ch...@sybase.com> wrote:

> Seeing as I work at Sybase I don't think it would go over very well if I
> were to use the jTDS driver rather than our own JConnect. While I have
found
> a few issues with JConnect, they have been all relatively minor and are
> usually addressed rather quickly when we identify them, which only makes
the
> product that much better. Other than that, if ever you plan to use XA in
> your application, jTDS will not work for you. That's why I have always
used
> JConnect. The applications I am developing use XA frequently so JConnect
is
> really the only option for us. (Other than the fact that we work at
Sybase

Posted by Rick <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rick <ri...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 5:41 PM,  <Ch...@sybase.com> wrote:

> Sounds more like an issue with the jTDS driver and not with ASE. I've been
> using the JConnect driver with iBatis for several years now and never
> encountered any issues with dates.

True. I shouldn't be blaming Sybase really.

Do you recommend the JConnect driver over jtds? I heard the jtds
driver was faster/better?

Re: Sybase sucks... I'm just sayin

Posted by Ch...@sybase.com.
Sounds more like an issue with the jTDS driver and not with ASE. I've been
using the JConnect driver with iBatis for several years now and never
encountered any issues with dates.

Chris Mathrusse
christopher.mathrusse@sybase.com
Sybase, Inc