Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org> on 2011/03/09 19:52:44 UTC

Bibliography format question

My next step on the distributed, fault tolerant transaction management
issue will be to wrote an annotated bibliography. Designing and proving
correctness of protocols and algorithms in this area is not easy, so it
is worth some reading and library search time to make sure we benefit
from all available research.

Is there is preferred way of doing this? Left to myself, I would use
BibTex for the references, and write the notes in LaTex.

Is anyone else likely to want to edit the document? If so, what are
their opinions about the document and bibliography format? Is there an
Apache way of doing something like this?

Regardless of the source format, the document will be available as a
.pdf file, so anyone can use it.

Patricia

RE: Bibliography format question

Posted by jg...@simulexinc.com.
I completely agree with those who said that if you're starting this, you have real decision power.   And a pdf output would be just fine for casual readers.

I suppose the only alternative that I might suggest is looking into what wiki tools are available to us.   A wiki page would be friendlier for cross-contributions and may also provide space for commenting (discussion tab?).   It also probably has a good citation mechanism.

But then, I'm not familiar with the wiki that Apache uses... and I maybe don't have a 100% clear idea of what you have in mind that would require the use of LaTex, so cavaets abound.

jamesG

Posted by "De Groot, Cees" <cd...@marktplaats.nl>.
...and I can't help remarking that this is a bunch of people who are hacking away at a pretty advanced system. A bibliography format shouldn't be beyond them :)

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Ditto.

- Peter.

Posted by Christopher Dolan <ch...@avid.com>.

Posted by Gregg Wonderly <gr...@gmail.com>.
A long time ago I created a latex generating doclet.  It is on java.net as texdoclet.dev.java.net.  It has ben ignored largely, because I only needed it for a short period of time.  But it might be interesting to use for formatting docs to a similar style.

Gregg

Sent from my iPad

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Patricia,

The basic rule is, if you're the first person doing it, then you get
to chose.  And as you say, the result will be in a format that
everyone can read and see.  I assume that your "left to myself" bit
describes a fairly standard way of doing this kind of thing.  In which
case, I'd say go with that.

On a vaguely related note.  I agree with you that a distributed
transaction manager is a more useful (necessary?) addition than a
distributed Java Space, so I took the liberty of creating a Jira for
tracking it's issues, notes, thoughts etc.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-394

I hope that's okay.

Cheers,

Tom