Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com> on 2011/04/01 10:21:21 UTC

Re: Fault tolerance background

Hi Patricia,

I've gone through the same "Practical Byzantine Fault Tolerance" paper that
you have.  Here are some of my comments.  I don't if you'll find them useful
or not.

1.  "[replicatants] must start in the same state".  Does this mean that we
can't adhoc add or replace replicas?

2.  References 18 & 26 are probably worth checking out.

3.  We probably don't need the cryptography stuff from this algo.

4.  There is a limit to the number of replicants that must exist and be
working for the system to work.  That limit is > 2 which might be an issue.
I suppose it depends on what we say is required in any SLA.

Cheers,

Tom