Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/12 15:25:40 UTC

Tags and releases

Folks, I need some help. The doc says to run release:prepare.

Running mvn release:prepare with a version of 2.5 will make a tag
commons-io-2.5, not 2.5-RCx. Running it (as I did) with a tag of -RCx
will make a release package with a pom in it that says RCx.

Did I miss a step here, like manually renaming the tag from
commons-io-2.5 to commons-io-2.5-RC4 before the vote?

What's I'm accustomed to on other projects is just run the release
with version 2.5, and make a tag of common-io-2.5, and if the vote
fails you delete it. But I don't know how that maps to the various RC
tags I see in svn has me stumped.

Re: Tags and releases

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Maybe I've figured this out: the doc is asking me to manually make an
commons-io-2.5-RCx tag, and then telling me to run release:prepare,
which will also make a commons-io-2.5 tag. So the RCx tag serves as a
permanent record of the RC, and the plain tag becomes 'the tag' if the
vote passes.

Do I have this straight?

Re: Tags and releases

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 3:25 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Did I miss a step here, like manually renaming the tag from
> commons-io-2.5 to commons-io-2.5-RC4 before the vote?

That's what I usually do. Followed by a copy to commons-io-2.5, after
the successfull vote.