Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Vibhor_Sharma <vs...@gryphonnetworks.com> on 2007/11/05 17:45:27 UTC

Suggestions on maintaining backward compatibility in web services

Hi
    We have an existing web services architecture and stable APIs which are being used by our customers. We will be rolling out a new release shortly (upgrading to Axis2 1.3) and enhancing the web service interfaces. I want to know from the experts that are there any best practices of  maintaing the backward compatibility? so that we do not upset our customers.

Thanks
Vibhor

Re: Suggestions on maintaining backward compatibility in web services

Posted by José Antonio Sánchez <ge...@gmail.com>.
I've been developing some services that were generated with Axis2 1.0
and everytime Axis2 has been updated (1.0->1.1->1.2->1.3) I had to
regenerate the code because it would not compile with the new
libraries.
In my experience Axis2 doesn't maintain any kind of backwards
compatibility at all, at least for the generated code, so my advice is
to make regeneration of your service easy:
- Don't edit the generated code
- Separate the skeleton from the rest of the sources (databinding,
stubs, and so) so regeneration will not overwrite it.

And if you have some services and don't have the sources, then be
careful if you are upgrading your installation of Axis2 since your old
service may or may not work with the new version. Just try and if it
doesn't work, come back to the old Axis2 version.

--
Saludos

José Antonio Sánchez