Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by John Dempsey <jo...@yahoo.ie> on 2007/10/05 12:40:30 UTC

Socket issue: Thread not responding

Hi Guys,

We're doing remote testing and about 45 minutes into
the test some threads just stop responding.
We did a thread dump and the threads appear to be
stuck on the method below.
java.net.socketInputStream.socketRead0
They are still in a runnable state.
The server uses SSL.
Each jmeter server uses 90 threads.
Each jmeter server is about 2.8 GHz and 1Gig of ram.

Could I be running out of sockets or could it be a
load issue?
Also will adding the variable http.socket.timeout to
the jmeter properties file help keep the test from
freezing up?

Thanks!
John.

Re: Socket issue: Thread not responding

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 05/10/2007, John Dempsey <jo...@yahoo.ie> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> We're doing remote testing and about 45 minutes into
> the test some threads just stop responding.
> We did a thread dump and the threads appear to be
> stuck on the method below.
> java.net.socketInputStream.socketRead0

So it is waiting for input from the socket.

> They are still in a runnable state.
> The server uses SSL.
> Each jmeter server uses 90 threads.
> Each jmeter server is about 2.8 GHz and 1Gig of ram.
>
> Could I be running out of sockets or could it be a
> load issue?

Does not seem to be a lack of sockets, as the test is waiting on a socket.

> Also will adding the variable http.socket.timeout to
> the jmeter properties file help keep the test from
> freezing up?

No, because that is an Httpclient parameter.

If it is to be used, you must define it in httpclient.parameters, and
you must enable that file in jmeter.properties. Probably easier to use
the jmeter property httpclient.timeout. See jmeter.properties for
details.

The property only applies to the HTTP HttpClient sampler.