Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Vincent <v1...@yahoo.com> on 2006/07/22 06:28:03 UTC

Unclosed connection/session with large messages can bring down AMQ

Hi,

I tried the AMQ default consumer/producer example with large message size
i.e 100000 bytes for 10000 times. During the execution, the consumer was
terminated by pressing CTRL-C, then ran the consumer again. Repeat the
termination and resumption for serveral times. The consumer and the producer
froze eventually. Even they were restarted with a new queue name and new
client IDs, still no help. Only restarting the broker can fix the problem.

On the JMX console, can see the orphaned subscription(s) by terminated
consumer(s).

Interestingly, the original setting of the example do not reveal the problem
easily. The scenario can be reproduced easily.

I would like to confirm if this is a bug. Any workarounds?

Thanks in advance.

Vincent.

Re: Unclosed connection/session with large messages can bring down AMQ

Posted by Vincent <v1...@yahoo.com>.
usageManager does not fix the problem at all. I tried to allocate it 1GB of
RAM. Still the same.
I think the message size of about 100KB is a norm. Switching to durable
messages does not help.
It's very easy to repeat the scenario using the producer/consumer example
program by tweaking 2 settings in the XML config file.

Thx.

Re: Unclosed connection/session with large messages can bring down AMQ

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
You are probably exhausing the RAM buffer for non-durable queues.
Increase the RAM buffer (usageManager) or reduce your message sizes or
switch to using durable messages.

On 7/22/06, Vincent <v1...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried the AMQ default consumer/producer example with large message size
> i.e 100000 bytes for 10000 times. During the execution, the consumer was
> terminated by pressing CTRL-C, then ran the consumer again. Repeat the
> termination and resumption for serveral times. The consumer and the producer
> froze eventually. Even they were restarted with a new queue name and new
> client IDs, still no help. Only restarting the broker can fix the problem.
>
> On the JMX console, can see the orphaned subscription(s) by terminated
> consumer(s).
>
> Interestingly, the original setting of the example do not reveal the problem
> easily. The scenario can be reproduced easily.
>
> I would like to confirm if this is a bug. Any workarounds?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Vincent.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: Unclosed connection/session with large messages can bring down AMQ

Posted by Vincent <v1...@yahoo.com>.
However ActiveMQ 3.2.2 does not exhibit the problem, any ideas????

Posted by Vincent <v1...@yahoo.com>.
The same problem can also be reproduced in ActiveMQ 4.1-SNAPSHOT.

Regards,
Vincent.