Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Pierre Mavro <p....@criteo.com> on 2018/06/25 15:12:37 UTC

Recommendation: running Cassandra in containers

Hi,

Regarding the limits in linux cgroups (as used in Kubernetes/Mesos), I
was wondering if there are any recommendation (didn't find anything on
this topic).

In general on Java 8 running instances, it is advised to run those
options to take into account cgroup environment:

-XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+UseCGroupMemoryLimitForHeap

Other tuning options for this exists (ex: MaxRAMFraction), I was
wondering if there is any information somewhere about it.

Thanks in advance

Pierre

Re: Recommendation: running Cassandra in containers

Posted by daemeon reiydelle <da...@gmail.com>.
The use of Mesos in production for cassandra was a failure due to the
inability to reserve network bandwidth as Mesos can only allocate cpu and
memory profiles to a task. So, assuming you are either running on
dedicated/manually controlled VM's, or are no running a product/meaningful
data storage footprint, your questions are relevant. Otherwise Mesos is not
a viable solution. Note this same issue hit me at several clients with
jenkens CI workloads as well. Look at K8S for these contra-Mesos scenarios.

<======>
"When I finish a project for a client, I have ... learned their issues with
life, their personal secrets, I have come to care about them.
Once the project is over, I lose them as if I lost family. For the client,
however, they’ve just dismissed a service worker." ...
"Thought on the Gig Economy" by Francine Brevetti

*Daemeon C.M. Reiydelle*

*email: daemeonr@gmail.com <da...@gmail.com>*
*San Francisco 1.415.501.0198/London 44 020 8144 9872/Skype
daemeon.c.m.reiydelle*

Posted by daemeon reiydelle <da...@gmail.com>.
Yes, big data infra works fine in containers. Does not slow and in some
cases can increase performance depending on the virtualization. A big
differentiator comes when one is using persisted storage that can live
across the underlying instance. When the instance (and containers) fail,
then there is no significant recovery time when the persisted storage is
presented to another container (e.g. scaleio, SAN, persisted EBS, etc.)

<======>

Posted by Rahul Singh <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nate McCall <zz...@gmail.com>.