Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by alainkr <ak...@gmail.com> on 2018/01/15 22:44:06 UTC

How can Memory percent used be 100 if cursorMemoryHighWaterMark is 70%

Hello,

Using activemq 5.10.0 we had a production issue where Memory percent used
was 100%

I've beeing trying to reproduce but I can't get the memory used % above the
default cursorMemoryHighWaterMark of 70 %

I've trying "flooding" several queues with huge messages but I can't get
passed 74% memory usage.
I've tried to start several consumer with the default prefetch of 1000 which
I thought was going to bring back a lot of message back in memory but no :
memory remains at 74%

So under what circumstance can the Memory Used approach 100% like we had in
production ?

Thanks for your help

Alain

Re: How can Memory percent used be 100 if cursorMemoryHighWaterMark is 70%

Posted by alainkr <ak...@gmail.com>.
Okay thanks.

Re: How can Memory percent used be 100 if cursorMemoryHighWaterMark is 70%

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
Large messages are one way. The broker will only refuse to accept a message
if the store is above the high water mark, not if the message will push it
above the high water mark, so if it's at 69% and you enqueue a very large
message that's 31% of the limit, you'd get to 100% (and the store would
then refuse to accept more messages).

Another is a bug in the code that computes the stats, and there have been
several of those over the years. Offhand I don't remember which versions
they were fixed in, but you could go through the relevant JIRA issues to
see if maybe an upgrade would help.

Tim