Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Adel Boutros <ad...@live.com> on 2016/06/30 08:55:38 UTC

[Qpid Java Broker] Cannot bind fanout exchange to a queue without specify a binding key

Hello,

In the definition of the fanout exchange[1], it is mentioned "The fanout exchange type routes messages to all queues bound to the exchange, regardless of the message's routing key". However, using the web management console, when I create a fanout exchange, it forces me to set a binding key.

I believe this is a bug. Do you agree or did I misunderstand something?

Regards,
Adel

[1] https://qpid.apache.org/releases/qpid-java-6.0.3/java-broker/book/Java-Broker-Concepts-Exchanges.html

Re: [Qpid Java Broker] Cannot bind fanout exchange to a queue without specify a binding key

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
Just to be clear, AMQP 0-10 *requires* that a binding key is used to
uniquely identify every binding between an exchange and a queue.  It does
allow for the fact that the binding may be the empty string, however only
one binding per queue may use this binding key on the given exchange.  So I
don't think it is correct to say that it is an error to *require* a binding
key, however it is overly restrictive to not allow a binding where the
binding key is the empty string.

-- Rob

Posted by Adel Boutros <ad...@live.com>.
Thank you Keith,