Posted to dev@trafficcontrol.apache.org by "Gray, Jonathan" <Jo...@comcast.com> on 2018/12/13 00:27:01 UTC

Re: [EXTERNAL] Intermediate SSL Certificate Handling

Something to think about, intermediate cert chains are ordered and of indeterminate length if present at all.  Also, for a given root CA, there may be multiple variants of intermediate cert chains.

Jonathan G

On 12/12/18, 9:50 AM, "Howell, Jeff (Contractor)" <Je...@comcast.com> wrote:

    Greetings Traffic Controllers.

    I have an idea for a change in how SSL certs are managed in TO/TP. Currently we have to concatenate the intermediate certs onto the server cert and paste that into the SSL key interface. As the intermediate is likely the same for the majority of certs in the cdn, it makes more sense to decouple that from the server cert.

    I’m proposing that a new interface is created in TP to load intermediate certs chains into ATC, creating a library of intermediate certs. In the SSL key interface, intermediate cert chains are selected via dropdown rather than concatenated onto the server cert. This mitigates human error in formatting and certificate ordering.

    Best Regards,
    Jeff

Re: [EXTERNAL] Intermediate SSL Certificate Handling

Posted by Rawlin Peters <ra...@gmail.com>.
I believe the latest version of the deliveryservices/sslkeys/add
endpoint does some reordering of certs when given a cert chain that
may be out of order and verifies the certs using the root CA bundles
installed on the system (specifically it uses this method:
https://golang.org/pkg/crypto/x509/#Certificate.Verify). So if the TO
server has the root CA bundles installed that you need, I think it
might just work as long as the intermediate certs you need are also
installed in the system's root CA bundle. It would be worth a shot to
test that new functionality out and see if it provides what you're
looking for.

- Rawlin

Posted by "Gelinas, Derek" <De...@comcast.com>.
Any idea where we should look?  I can go huntin'.

Posted by Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>.