Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Louis Suárez-Potts <lo...@apache.org> on 2012/01/18 04:55:53 UTC

Sopa

For many it's already 18 January, the day thousands if not millions of
websites will go dark in protest of the US legislation SOPA and PIPA,
which purport to fight piracy but as even casual analysis shows end up
doing a lot more censorious damage than claimed.

As Apache OpenOffice is part of Apache, and as we routinely work here,
regardless of time or day, holiday or not, I'm curious how we are
dealing with the protest.

I should hope that Apache would go dark for the 24 hours. Checking the
site now--it's 22:17 EST (-0500), I see no difference.

If it is the case then that Apache has chosen not to go dark--and
there may have been notice one way or another that I missed--then I
suppose it is up to individuals to follow their conscience. I presume
that this podling, as part of Apache, lacks the autonomy to darken its
own sub-website, should the consensus be in favour of it.

For individuals who do wish to respect the protest action, there is
some code one can use which I can share.

-louis

Re: Sopa

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 18 January 2012 09:57, Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As much as it would make a helluva statement, there's people out there
>> who might really need to get the latest security patch of some Apache
>> product right now.
>>
>> Acting responsibly is part of the burden of being the good guys.  It's
>> why the bad guys sometimes win.
>>
>> Don
>>

> There are ways to make a statement non-destructively. Wikipedia works fine
> from mobile devices and with Javascript disabled. Arstechnica changes the
> background color and has a notice at the top of each page.

May I suggest then that if individuals want to make a statement they
do so (look to Wordpress or fightforthefuture)? I have done so on my
Wordpress blog (www.luispo.com). And I would also like to see if there
is consensus to post a banner on the podling page indicating our
support, if we do support it, for the Sopa and Pipa protest.

-louis

Re: Sopa

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.

Re: Sopa