Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sriram Narayanan <sr...@yahoo.com> on 2001/11/03 15:04:49 UTC

Tomcat's not running Re: Strange problem in Tomcat 3.2.1

Loks like Tomcat's not processing the JSPs , and Apache's just lifting the JSP's and service them to you.

A simple check to see it tomcat's been activated is to check the Tomcat logs.

Also, there's no need to configure anything on the browser side when viewing JSPs. Jsps are processed on the server side, and send back HTML code to the
browser.

In your case, here's what's supposed to happen:
-> You configure Apache so that it loads the Tomcat connector.
-> Start Tomcat first and then Apache http server.
-> If everything's OK, then here's what happens when you ask for a JSP.

1. The apache server receives a request for the JSP.
2. Tomcat takes over because its integrated with Apache (in your case).
3. Tomcat receives the request and response related objects, and passes these to the JSP.
4. The JSP receives these, does it's processing, and the resulting HTML is handed back to the web server, i.e. Apache httpd.
5. Apache httpd then returns this HTML to the browser.

If tomcat's not configured, then the apache httpd server will just pick up the jsp file as if it were an ordinary file, and send this file to the browser.
If the browser can understand this file's type (IE 5 does, this despite us setting the content type ), then it renders it. This is for files like gif images, etc.
If the browser does not understand the file's type, then it gives you the download prompt. This is what's happening in your case.

Sriram