Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com> on 2015/12/01 00:27:54 UTC

RE: Ripple to be retired from the incubator?

Actually adding general@ for guidance on the process

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 3:18 PM, Tim Barham <Ti...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hey all, I've been OOF for a couple of weeks, so I'm catching up on the
> threads. I'm just wondering where we're at now, exactly. Specifically:
>
> 1. Do we need an official vote thread on this, or can we consider that done
> based on existing discussion? If the former, I'm happy to start it - but
> based on what I read here [1], it is perhaps not necessary: "If the PPMC
> unanimously recommends retirement, it gets retired. No need for a VOTE, just
> notify the IPMC, leave for 72 hours minimum and retire it" ... Oh, I just
> reread through what Marvin wrote. Based on the bit I quoted, do we even need
> the IPMC vote (or perhaps that vote has already occurred - just realized I
> still haven't subscribed to that list)?

The IPMC VOTE to retire Ripple is currently in progress.  It was started
about a day and half ago and will run for at least 72 hours.

    http://s.apache.org/Xei

A vote by the IPMC is definitely required because we need clarity on when a
podling has wrapped up.  We can't be having disputes about whether it was
legit to shut down mailing lists, etc.

Personally, I would prefer that we make a PPMC retirement VOTE on the podling
dev list mandatory.  It's important that no contributor be left feeling that
they were not informed.  (A TLP recently retired to the Attic after holding a
vote on their private list, informing dev and users only after the vote was
complete.  I don't think that's the best way to handle things.)

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Ripple to be retired from the incubator?

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Tim Barham <Ti...@microsoft.com>.
Hey all, I've been OOF for a couple of weeks, so I'm catching up on the threads. I'm just wondering where we're at now, exactly. Specifically:

1. Do we need an official vote thread on this, or can we consider that done based on existing discussion? If the former, I'm happy to start it - but based on what I read here [1], it is perhaps not necessary: "If the PPMC unanimously recommends retirement, it gets retired. No need for a VOTE, just notify the IPMC, leave for 72 hours minimum and retire it" ... Oh, I just reread through what Marvin wrote. Based on the bit I quoted, do we even need the IPMC vote (or perhaps that vote has already occurred - just realized I still haven't subscribed to that list)?
2. Where are things at with the trademark?

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/retirement

Thanks,

Tim

Marvin I would love to accept your help in retiring the podling. I'll close out the trademark issue with the community in parallel.

Thank you
Ross

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.