Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Glen Marchesani <gl...@model3.net> on 2009/11/04 17:50:28 UTC

Implementation Recommendation

Hi Qpid Users,
I am in the process of converting a larg'ish app from another messaging
system to qpid.  We have around 100 message topics with varying names.  All
topics are pub/sub.  There are many processes that will register for the
specific topics they want to listen to, and have a single thread for
receiving messages from the topics.  The prototype we have now uses a single
wildcard so every client receives all message and the client filters the
topics which is fine for our prototype but degrades exponentially since each
client receives every message.

Is there a way for a client to register for a specific list of
"unwildcarded" topics and have a single thread to listen for messages on
those topics?

thanks,
Glen

PS we are implementing this mainly in Python code and have some C++
PS #2 My apologies if I am using JMS speak and topic is not the right word
for qpid/aqmp?

RE: Implementation Recommendation

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Glen,

> Hi Qpid Users,
> I am in the process of converting a larg'ish app from another
> messaging
> system to qpid.  We have around 100 message topics with
> varying names.  All
> topics are pub/sub.  There are many processes that will
> register for the
> specific topics they want to listen to, and have a single thread for
> receiving messages from the topics.

Ok.

> The prototype we have now uses a single
> wildcard so every client receives all message and the client
> filters the
> topics which is fine for our prototype but degrades
> exponentially since each
> client receives every message.

Right.

> Is there a way for a client to register for a specific list of
> "unwildcarded" topics and have a single thread to listen for
> messages on those topics?

Yes. Probably a number of ways. You could first look at each client
creating a queue and binding the exchange(s) to the queue using the
topics/routing keys desired. Then only the desired messages go to the
queue.

-Steve

--
Steve Huston, Riverace Corporation
Total Lifecycle Support for Your Networked Applications

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org