Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Norbert Unterberg <ne...@gmx.net> on 2004/12/05 23:30:01 UTC

Unused error messages

While checking the error messages, I found some errors that don't seem
to be used anywhere in the subversion source code (I did not find them
in trunk). How about deleting these unused errors, it removes the burden
to translate the error messages?

Up to now I found these potentially unused errors (from svn_error_codes.h):

SVN_ERR_IO_PIPE_READ_ERROR
SVN_ERR_IO_PIPE_FRAME_ERROR
SVN_ERR_IO_CORRUPT_EOL
   --> used once in translate-test.c, does that justify a translation?
SVN_ERR_WC_UNWIND_EMPTY
SVN_ERR_WC_UNWIND_MISMATCH
SVN_ERR_WC_UNWIND_NOT_EMPTY
SVN_ERR_WC_INVALID_LOCK

Re: Unused error messages

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> writes:
> > While checking the error messages, I found some errors that don't
> > seem to be used anywhere in the subversion source code (I did not
> > find them in trunk). How about deleting these unused errors, it
> > removes the burden to translate the error messages?
>
> We can't remove error messages, that would violate our compatibility
> guarantees.

We can, however, deprecate them, which I have done in r12189.

Re: Unused error messages

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Norbert Unterberg wrote:

> While checking the error messages, I found some errors that don't seem
> to be used anywhere in the subversion source code (I did not find them
> in trunk). How about deleting these unused errors, it removes the
> burden to translate the error messages?

We can't remove error messages, that would violate our compatibility
guarantees.

-- Brane