Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Liang Chen <ch...@apache.org> on 2022/04/09 08:17:59 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Incubating proposal of Kvrocks

Hi all

We would like to propose Kvrocks [1] as a new apache incubator project, you
can find the proposal [2] of Kvrocks for more detail.

Kvrocks is a distributed key-value NoSQL database, supporting the rich data
structure and be widely used by many internet business for example, the
recommendation service can use hashes to store user characteristics and the
sorted set to sort them. For supporting more users, Kvrocks also have good
integration and ecosystem compatibility with other NoSQL database API and
script.
In comparison to current open source NoSQL database like Redis, which also
has rich data structure, Kvrocks data be stored in disk storage, but the
redis data be stored in memory, it means the cost is higher and the
capacity is limited when compare to disk storage solution, this is why we
created Kvrocks project to solve the cost and capacity issues by using disk
storage solution, the following are key features of Kvrocks:

   - Compatibly support Redis protocol and data structures
   (String/List/Hash/Set/Sorted-set/Bitmap/GEO/Sorted-Int)
   - Disk-Based, all data and updates always persist on the disk
   - Proxyless centralized cluster
   - Stored procedures based on Lua script
   - Transaction(no strict ACID)
   - Publish-Subscribe
   - Tunable consistency(In-Progress)

Kvrocks was designed to decrease the cost of memory and increase the
capacity while compared to Redis. Also, Kvrocks aims to become a
distributed multi-model NoSQL database in the future. We will provide more
features to expand its usage scenarios but all data structures on disk.
Kvrocks is fully compatible with Redis in term of protocol.

We believe that the Kvrocks project will provide the diversity value for
community if Kvrocks is introduced into the Apache incubator.

I will help this project as champion and many thanks to 4 mentors :
Jean-Baptiste
Onofre  [jbonofre@apache.org], Xiaoqiao He [hexiaoqiao@apache.org], Xun Liu[
liuxun@apache.org], Von Gosling[vongosling@apache.org].

[1] https://github.com/KvrocksLabs/kvrocks

[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/KvrocksProposal

Regards

Liang

Re: [DISCUSSION] Incubating proposal of Kvrocks

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.
@hulk Thanks for your reply! That sounds good to me.

Learned from @Liang Chen <ch...@apache.org> I've submitted an
application[1] for being an IPMC
member and willing to be a mentor of this proposed podling. Looking forward
further cooperation.

Best,
tison.

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/h0d7rxhzzmnbspzsmjocwng3cd2mzg5l

hulk <hu...@gmail.com> 于2022年4月15日周五 18:18写道:

Posted by hulk <hu...@gmail.com>.

Re: terminology (was: [DISCUSSION] Incubating proposal of Kvrocks)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Oh, sure. That totally works!

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Greg,