Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Chris Helck <Ch...@ebs.com> on 2014/04/30 14:29:13 UTC

Need example of robust Producer

I am new to Kafka. I'd like to see example code that uses a Producer and handles connectivity errors to Kafka brokers and/or ZooKeeper.

I have seen some code that creates and tears down a Producer for each message that is sent, but this doesn't seem right to me. The same example code, queries ZooKeeper to ask if Kafka is running before creating the Producer. I don't know why this is done. What if ZooKeeper isn't up? Why not just try to make the connection and handle any errors that occur?

A nice, well written example, would clear up a lot of my questions.

Thanks,
C. Helck

This communication and all information contained in or attached to it (including, but not limited to market prices/levels and market commentary) (the “Information”) is for informational purposes only, is confidential, may be legally privileged and is the intellectual property of one of the companies of ICAP plc group (“ICAP”) or third parties. The Information is not, and should not be construed as, an offer, bid, recommendation or solicitation in relation to any financial instrument or investment or to participate in any particular trading strategy. The Information is not to be relied upon and is not warranted, including, but not limited, as to completeness, timeliness or accuracy and is subject to change without notice. All representations and warranties are expressly disclaimed. Access to the Information by anyone other than the intended recipient is unauthorised and any disclosure, copying or redistribution is prohibited. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete all copies of it and notify the sender. For further information, please see ebs.com.

RE: Need example of robust Producer

Posted by Chris Helck <Ch...@ebs.com>.
Yes, it helps a lot. When I run in async mode my producer stays up and healthy even if zookeeper and/or Kafka brokers are down.

Thanks,
C. Helck

Posted by Dragos Manolescu <dm...@whitepages.com>.
Does this help: