Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net> on 2004/02/05 18:29:51 UTC

Empty boundary question ...

I've found that some spammers are sending out mails (in this case
multipart/alternative) with blank boundaries, in violation of the RFC.
aka: Content-type: multipart/alternative; boundary=""

The RFC states that the boundary must be at least 1 char long.

So the question comes up -- should we accept the blank boundary and
parse as normal, or should we see it as invalid and treat the entire
mime part as 'text/plain'?

Of course, MUAs are no help here...

Apple Mail			happily takes the empty boundary and shows the text/html part
Outlook Express			shows the whole message as a single text/plain part
mutt				shows the whole message as a single text/plain part
pine				happily takes the empty boundary and shows the text/plain part

Part of me says we should follow the RFC, and part of me says we can see
what was meant so go ahead and do it (and let rules hit appropriately).

Thoughts?

FYI: At the moment, I've modified the 2.70 code to accept the empty
boundary and parse as normal.  It's extremely trivial to change the
behavior to the single text/plain version though (comment out the current
line, uncomment the one next to it ... ;) )

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
It's kind of like grandpa used to say:  "People's opinions differ on

Re: Empty boundary question ...

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 11:56:56AM -0800, Justin Mason wrote:
> my vote: emulate OE, it's what the spammers generally aim for.

Typically I would agree, but in this case OE doesn't output the mail
as the spammer would want it outputted (ie: a multipart/alternative,
and view the text/html part ...)

So either they're aiming at something else, or this guy was just stupid,
or both.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
I think I'm happier with that.  $rubyometer += 0.3 or so.  :-)