Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by David Bolshoy <da...@zootec.com> on 2004/03/19 19:23:18 UTC

encoding problem during transition to a newer Tomcat version

hi,

I have a turbine 2.2 app running successfully under Tomcat 4.1.18.
After I upgraded to a newer Tomcat  (4.1.30), I keep getting this strange encoding problem.

I use utf-8 as a primary encoding for my application and it used to work fine.
After the upgrade, all utf strings __coming from the database (mysql 3.23.52)__ lose their encoding. It looks like they are being treated as iso-8859-1 data.
Static utf content of the templates themselves looks fine.

It looks like a Velocity problem, so I tried to set all velocity related properties (input.encoding, output.encoding), template encoding and charset to utf-8, but it did not solve the problem.

Any ideas as to where to look? I guess I'll have to downgrade back to tomcat 4.1.18...

Thanx,

David

Re: encoding problem during transition to a newer Tomcat version

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
David Bolshoy wrote:

>I have a turbine 2.2 app running successfully under Tomcat 4.1.18.
>After I upgraded to a newer Tomcat  (4.1.30), I keep getting this strange encoding problem.
>
>I use utf-8 as a primary encoding for my application and it used to work fine.
>After the upgrade, all utf strings __coming from the database (mysql 3.23.52)__ lose their encoding. It looks like they are being treated as iso-8859-1 data.
>Static utf content of the templates themselves looks fine.
>
>It looks like a Velocity problem, so I tried to set all velocity related properties (input.encoding, output.encoding), template encoding and charset to utf-8, but it did not solve the problem.
>
>Any ideas as to where to look? I guess I'll have to downgrade back to tomcat 4.1.18...

Have you set an encoding on your jdbc connection url?

Scott

--
Scott Eade
Backstage Technologies Pty. Ltd.