Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Andrew Chen <ac...@cobaltgroup.com> on 2000/08/08 20:49:48 UTC

Flushing handler getting Open Sourced...

Hello all,

I was involved in a discussion a few weeks ago regarding how Cobalt Group
(www.cobaltgroup.com) could get a performance boost by running our very
very dirty modules under PerlRun with PerlRunOnce Off and then to have a
handler that cleaned up between requests.

Anyway, with a lot of help from the mod_perl community (thanks guys!) the
handler was written, and it is currently going through QA to push this out
to all of our websites (many thousands).

Additionally, we are going to release this back into the community for
those that, like us, are unlucky enough to have dirty code that would be
too expensive to rewrite.

The question is now:
  How should we do it?

1) Should it be integrated into the mod_perl package?
2) Should it be a seperate package in CPAN?
3) etc., etc.

Anyway, if anyone has an idea of what the best way to go about this would
be, that would be great. Thanks!

Andrew Chen
Intern, Architecture
achen@cobaltgroup.com
206-219-8445
The Cobalt Group, Inc.

Re: Flushing handler getting Open Sourced...

Posted by Ken Williams <ke...@forum.swarthmore.edu>.
achen@cobaltgroup.com (Andrew Chen) wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I was involved in a discussion a few weeks ago regarding how Cobalt Group
>(www.cobaltgroup.com) could get a performance boost by running our very
>very dirty modules under PerlRun with PerlRunOnce Off and then to have a
>handler that cleaned up between requests.
>
>Anyway, with a lot of help from the mod_perl community (thanks guys!) the
>handler was written, and it is currently going through QA to push this out
>to all of our websites (many thousands).

Holy ambition!

>Additionally, we are going to release this back into the community for
>those that, like us, are unlucky enough to have dirty code that would be
>too expensive to rewrite.
>
>The question is now:
>  How should we do it?
>
>1) Should it be integrated into the mod_perl package?
>2) Should it be a seperate package in CPAN?
>3) etc., etc.

It's quite possible that some of your functionality should get
integrated into PerlRun itself.  It sounds like an intermediate setting
between PerlRunOnce Off and PerlRunOnce On.  What about a setting like

  PerlSetVar PerlRunMode Once    (equivalent to PerlRunOnce On)
  PerlSetVar PerlRunMode Cleanup (adds your cleanup stuff)
  PerlSetVar PerlRunMode Trust   (equivalent to PerlRunOnce Off)

The 'Trust' name is pretty stupid, couldn't think of anything better
right now.  Anyway, would something like this make sense?  Or perhaps a
"PerlRunCleanup" directive?