Posted to mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Jonathan Hung <jy...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/29 19:14:05 UTC

[DISCUSS] Merging YARN-8200 to branch-3.0 and branch-2

Hello devs,

Starting a discuss thread to merge resource types/native GPU scheduling
support to branch-3.0 and branch-2. The resource types work was done in
trunk~branch-3.0 and GPU support done in trunk~branch-3.1, so the proposal
is to merge GPU support into branch-3.0 and both resource types/GPU support
to branch-2.

Internally we've been running resource types/GPU support off a fork of
branch-2.9.0 in a > 300 node GPU cluster for a few months which has worked
well. Also for completeness we verified that everything going into branch-2
also exists in branch-3.0.

The specific list of patches to merge is in feature branch
YARN-8200.branch3 (for branch-3.0) and feature branch YARN-8200 (for
branch-2). Full patches containing the YARN-8200.branch3 -> branch-3.0 diff
and YARN-8200 -> branch-2 diff have been posted to YARN-8200 jira.

If there's no issues from the community I'll start a merge vote next week.
Thanks.

Jonathan Hung

Re: [DISCUSS] Merging YARN-8200 to branch-3.0 and branch-2

Posted by Jim Brennan <ja...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID>.
Thanks for following up on the rolling upgrades!
We are definitely interested in seeing this move forward.

Posted by Jim Brennan <ja...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jonathan Hung <jy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Hung <jy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Hung <jy...@gmail.com>.

________________________________

Posted by Jonathan Hung <jy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Brennan <ja...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID>.
Hi Jonathan,

Posted by Jim Brennan <ja...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID>.
Hi Jonathan,

Posted by Jonathan Hung <jy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Hung <jy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Brennan <ja...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID>.
Thanks for working on this!

Posted by Jim Brennan <ja...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID>.
Thanks for working on this!

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like a good idea to me.
This has been tested on branch-2 in production for some time and benchmarks
look good.

Thanks,
--Konstantin

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.