Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "King_Henree@yahoo.com" <ki...@yahoo.com> on 2003/07/06 19:33:14 UTC

Will someone explain the element syntax?

I have noticed within several maven example
project.xml files under the <dependency> elements
differences in syntax.  What is the difference between
the "+" and "-" characters when seperating words.  For
instance:

  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
        <id>commons-collections</id>
        <version>2.1</version>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
        <id>xdoclet+ejb-module</id>
        <version>1.2b2</version>
    </dependency>
  </dependencies>

For "<id>xdoclet+ejb-module</id>", I cannot find any
file by that name, although I have found
"xdoclet-ejb-module-1.2b2.jar", and so I figure that
"+" must be some type of special character.  If yes,
then what does it mean?  Also, does the "-" hold any
significance?  Are there any more special charaters or
syntax that may be utilized within those elements?
Where is the documentation for this stuff?  I cannot
find anything referencing it at maven.apache.org.

Re: Will someone explain the element syntax?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Sun, 2003-07-06 at 13:33, King_Henree@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have noticed within several maven example
> project.xml files under the <dependency> elements
> differences in syntax.  What is the difference between
> the "+" and "-" characters when seperating words.  For
> instance:

That form is deprecated because it is confusing, look at the user guide
and use the <groupId> and <artifactId> the fugly notation, as it's
referred is bad.

http://maven.apache.org/reference/user-guide.html#Naming%20Conventions

Do not mark dependencies using the fugly notation, we have some file
left over using it but they will be removed for the 1.0 release.

>   <dependencies>
>     <dependency>
>         <id>commons-collections</id>
>         <version>2.1</version>
>     </dependency>
>     <dependency>
>         <id>xdoclet+ejb-module</id>
>         <version>1.2b2</version>
>     </dependency>
>   </dependencies>
>
> For "<id>xdoclet+ejb-module</id>", I cannot find any
> file by that name, although I have found
> "xdoclet-ejb-module-1.2b2.jar", and so I figure that
> "+" must be some type of special character.  If yes,
> then what does it mean?  Also, does the "-" hold any
> significance?  Are there any more special charaters or
> syntax that may be utilized within those elements?
> Where is the documentation for this stuff?  I cannot
> find anything referencing it at maven.apache.org.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com