Posted to commits@mahout.apache.org by co...@apache.org on 2010/03/15 17:14:00 UTC

[CONF] Apache Lucene Mahout > Algorithms

Space: Apache Lucene Mahout (http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT)
Page: Algorithms (http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/Algorithms)

Edited by Grant Ingersoll:
h2. Algorithms

This section contains links to information, examples, use cases, etc. for the various algorithms we intend to implement.  Click the individual links to learn more. The initial algorithms descriptions have been copied here from the original project proposal. The algorithms are grouped by the application setting, they can be used for. In case of multiple applications, the version presented in the paper was chosen, versions as implemented in our project will be added as soon as we are working on them.

Original Paper: [Map Reduce for Machine Learning on Multicore|http://www.cs.stanford.edu/people/ang//papers/nips06-mapreducemulticore.pdf]

Papers related to Map Reduce:
* [Evaluating MapReduce for Multi-core and Multiprocessor Systems|http://csl.stanford.edu/~christos/publications/2007.cmp_mapreduce.hpca.pdf]
* [Map Reduce: Distributed Computing for Machine Learning|http://www.icsi.berkeley.edu/~arlo/publications/gillick_cs262a_proj.pdf]

For Papers, videos and books related to machine learning in general, see [Machine Learning Resources]

All algorithms are either marked as _integrated_, that is the implementation is integrated into the development version of Mahout. Algorithms that are currently being developed are annotated with a link to the JIRA issue that deals with the specific implementation. Usually these issues already contain patches that are more or less major, depending on how much work was spent on the issue so far. Algorithms that have so far not been touched are marked as _open_.

[What, When, Where, Why (but not How or Who)] \- Community tips, tricks, etc. for when to use which algorithm in what situations, what to watch out for in terms of errors.  That is, practical advice on using Mahout for your problems.

h3. Classification

A general introduction to the most common text classification algorithms can be found at Google Answers: [http://answers.google.com/answers/main?cmd=threadview&id=225316] For information on the algorithms implemented in Mahout (or scheduled for implementation) please visit the following pages.

[Logistic Regression] (SGD implementation in progress: [MAHOUT-228|http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-228])

[Bayesian]

[Support Vector Machines] (SVM) (open: [MAHOUT-14|http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-14] and [MAHOUT-232|http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-232])

[Perceptron and Winnow] (open: [MAHOUT-85|http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-85])

[Neural Network] (open, but [MAHOUT-228|http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-228] might help)

[Random Forests] (integrated - [MAHOUT-122|http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-122], [MAHOUT-140|http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-140], [MAHOUT-145|http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-145])

h3. Clustering

[Reference Reading]

[Canopy Clustering] (integrated)

[k-Means] (integrated)

[Fuzzy K-Means] ([MAHOUT-74|https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-74]) (integrated)

[Expectation Maximization] (EM) ([MAHOUT-28|http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-28])

[Mean Shift] (integrated)

[Hierarchical Clustering] ([MAHOUT-19|http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-19])

[Dirichlet Process Clustering] ([MAHOUT-30|http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-30] - integrated)
[Latent Dirichlet Allocation] ([MAHOUT-123|http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-123] - integrated)

h3. Pattern Mining

[Parallel FP Growth Algorithm|ParallelFrequentPatternMining] (Also known as Frequent Itemset mining)

h3. Regression

[Locally Weighted Linear Regression] (open)

h3. Dimension reduction

[Singular Value Decomposition and other Dimension Reduction Techniques|DimensionalReduction]

[Principal Components Analysis] (PCA) (open)

[Independent Component Analysis] (open)

[Gaussian Discriminative Analysis] (GDA) (open)

h3. Evolutionary Algorithms

see also: [MAHOUT-56 (integrated)|http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-56]

You will find here information, examples, use cases, etc. related to Evolutionary Algorithms.

Introductions and Tutorials:
* [Evolutionary Algorithms Introduction|http://www.geatbx.com/docu/algindex.html]
* [How to distribute the fitness evaluation using Mahout.GA|Mahout.GA.Tutorial]

Examples:
* [Traveling Salesman]
* [Class Discovery]

h3. Other

 * [Collocations]

h3. Non map reduce algorithms

Some algorithms and applications appeared on the mailing list, that have not been published in map reduce form so far. As we do not restrict ourselves to hadoop-only versions, these proposals are listed here.

[Hidden Markov Models] (HMM) (open)

[Recommendation Learning] (integrated)

Change your notification preferences: http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/users/viewnotifications.action