Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by John Merrells <me...@sleepycat.com> on 2003/06/02 18:57:44 UTC

Re: dbxml

On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 06:07  PM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> It's called XML:DB API, by http://xmldb.org/

Ah, OK. Yes I know about XML:DB. I looked at it but it wasn't suitable
for dbxml. You could easily implement XML:DB on top of the dbxml
API.

> Huh? As I read this (http://sleepycat.com/download/oslicense.html) one
> can freely redistribute binaries provided that source is available
> somewhere on FTP :)

Correct. We charge for closed source usage.

> Seems to me (==I'm reading license correctly) we can easily include
> drivers to Berkeley DB XML without any issues.

Good. Who has the final word on this though? Is it the Cocoon PMC?
Or is there an Apache PMC...?

John

Re: dbxml

Posted by John Merrells <me...@sleepycat.com>.
Steven,

On Monday, June 2, 2003, at 11:27  AM, Steven Noels wrote:

> Looking at your enquiries, I believe we should be better informed
> about what exactly you want us to add to Cocoon CVS.

I've been asked be a few dbxml users about integration with Cocoon.
I've never actually used it myself, so I'm just trying to meet the needs
of users. From my, very high level, understanding of Cocoon it sounds
like there are two possible approaches to integrating Cocoon and
dbxml. Option 1 is to add some code to Cocoon so that it can interact
with dbxml through its native API. This API is not a standard. Option
2 is to wrap dbxml with a layer that maps the dbxml API to the XML:DB
API, which is a standard. The later option seems like a the right course
of action to me, and I hope that we can form a brief collaboration
between
members of the two communities to achieve this.

> Essential to our license however is the no-strings-attached character,
> also for redistribution: except for providing proper credits, people
> are essentially free to do whatever they want with our work.

I encourage you to read through our license. It is Open Source, and is
used by many other open source projects, eg. OpenLDAP, Sendmail,

John

Re: dbxml

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 2/06/2003 18:57 John Merrells wrote:

> Good. Who has the final word on this though? Is it the Cocoon PMC?
> Or is there an Apache PMC...?

We (the Cocoon PMC) make sure to properly check copyright and licensing
issues before committing anything to our code base.

Looking at your enquiries, I believe we should be better informed about
what exactly you want us to add to Cocoon CVS. Essential to our license
however is the no-strings-attached character, also for redistribution:
except for providing proper credits, people are essentially free to do
whatever they want with our work.

If you can be more specific on what exactly you plan to contribute,
we'll check with some license peeps in the Apache innards, but the
Cocoon PMC is ultimately responsable for legal oversight.

Cheers,

</Steven> - Cocoon PMC Chair
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org