Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Anders Norrbring <li...@norrbring.se> on 2005/11/27 13:37:01 UTC

[users@httpd] Header problems..

I'm trying to validate a site as XHTML 1.1, and all the web pages are
okay according to the W3C validator.
But as soon as I put them on my Apache 2.0.54 server I run into
problems..  I get this response:

"The character encoding specified in the HTTP header (') is different
from the value in the <meta> element (utf-8). I will use the value from
the HTTP header (utf-8) for this validation."

Seems like the server send an invalid header somehow.  I have this in
the .htaccess file:

AddCharset utf-8 .php .html
AddDefaultCharset utf-8

--

Anders Norrbring
Norrbring Consulting

Re: [users@httpd] Header problems..

Posted by Anders Norrbring <li...@norrbring.se>.
On 2005-11-27 14:26 Nick Kew wrote:
> On Sunday 27 November 2005 12:54, Anders Norrbring wrote:
>
>>On 2005-11-27 13:37 Anders Norrbring wrote:
>>
>>>I'm trying to validate a site as XHTML 1.1,

> I can't tell why that's happening based on what you've posted.
> Are you using some kind of script?
>
> However, that's a complete violation of web standards.  You cannot
> serve xhtml 1.1 as text/html.  It's "application/xhtml+xml".

Is it?  I had no idea.. However, the W3C validator doesn't complain
about that part..

I found the error as well, there was an erroneous DB field that was
served from a PHP script.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Sunday 27 November 2005 12:54, Anders Norrbring wrote:
> On 2005-11-27 13:37 Anders Norrbring wrote:
> > I'm trying to validate a site as XHTML 1.1,

I can't tell why that's happening based on what you've posted.
Are you using some kind of script?

However, that's a complete violation of web standards.  You cannot
serve xhtml 1.1 as text/html.  It's "application/xhtml+xml".

--
Nick Kew

Re: [users@httpd] Header problems..

Posted by Anders Norrbring <li...@norrbring.se>.
On 2005-11-27 13:37 Anders Norrbring wrote:
> I'm trying to validate a site as XHTML 1.1, and all the web pages are
> okay according to the W3C validator.
> But as soon as I put them on my Apache 2.0.54 server I run into
> problems..  I get this response:
>
> "The character encoding specified in the HTTP header (') is different
> from the value in the <meta> element (utf-8). I will use the value from
> the HTTP header (utf-8) for this validation."
>
> Seems like the server send an invalid header somehow.  I have this in
> the .htaccess file:
>
> AddCharset utf-8 .php .html
> AddDefaultCharset utf-8

I ran the page through www.delorie.com/web/headers.cgi to see the
headers, it indicates that they look like:

I can't even guess where the ' and . comes from.... I grep:ed all files,
no match.
--

Anders Norrbring
Norrbring Consulting