Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "chadmichael@excite.com" <ch...@excite.com> on 2006/02/13 23:17:04 UTC

modules

Can someone explain to me the benefits of using modules?  I can see how it will help logically compartmentalize different regions of an application so that developers will have a more manageable view of the project, but does it provide anything a bit more technical?

Re: modules

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 5:17 PM -0500 2/13/06, chadmichael@excite.com wrote:
>Can someone explain to me the benefits of using modules?  I can see
>how it will help logically compartmentalize different regions of an
>application so that developers will have a more manageable view of
>the project, but does it provide anything a bit more technical?

In my view, modules are more like distinct applications than
components of a single application; although they technically share
the same application (servlet) context, Struts walls them off from
each other so that about the only thing which is shared is the
servlet URI mapping (i.e. *.do).

After trying a few applications using modules, my team and I found
that the walls between modules were higher than appropriate for our
model of development, and we stopped using them.  We have been
satisfied instead with Struts' support for using multiple config XML
files for struts-config, tiles-definitions, and validations.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska

"You really can't burn anything out by trying something new, and
even if you can burn it out, it can be fixed.  Try something new."
	-- Robert Moog