Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/01/07 14:49:00 UTC

"A preservation hazard in OpenOffice"

Have you seen this:  http://fileformats.wordpress.com/2012/12/30/openoffice/ ???

(I'm cc'ing the author of that blog post, Gary McGrath)

This is from the perspective of a person interested in long-term
preservation/archiving of documents.

This looks like a feature that is working "as designed", although it
does obscure the fact that the image is linked, not embedded in this
case.

It might be worth having a web page, or a document, about best
practices for creating documents in OpenOffice that are free of such
external dependencies.   Could probably also use the ODF Toolkit to
scan documents to identify such issues in a document.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: "A preservation hazard in OpenOffice"

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.
Alright Rob.

back to the issue - it appears to be platform specific.

Checking again, w/ AOO (daily), under windows and using Chrome there is one
difference.
Copy/Paste to a writer document works - and it is linked, unless you select
copy special and then select bitmap.

Otherwise - I'll check the issue tracker about the win/ie/writer problem I
ran into and if it is not noted yet ad a issue.

Best wishes,

//drew

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.