Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com> on 2014/04/02 14:32:53 UTC

Re: ALARM - ACS reboots host servers!!!

Coming back to this issue.

This time to perform the maintenance of the nfs primary storage I've plated the storage in question in the Maintenance mode. After about 20 minutes ACS showed the nfs storage is in Maintenance. However, none of the virtual machines with volumes on that storage were stopped. I've manually stopped the virtual machines and went to upgrade and restart the nfs server.

A few minutes after the nfs server shutdown all of my host servers went into reboot killing all vms!

Thus, it seems that putting nfs server in Maintenance mode does not stop ACS agent from restarting the host servers.

Does anyone know a way to stop this behaviour?

Thanks

Andrei

Posted by France <ma...@isg.si>.
I think this problem might only exist on KVM.
Can any1 with primary NFS test it on XenServer?

Posted by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com>.
+1

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com>.
I am on KVM.  thanks

> Can any1 from developers confirm this is expected behavior?

Yes, this still happens due to the kvmheartbeat.sh script which runs.

On some clusters I disabled this by simply overwriting that script with
a version where "reboot" is removed.

I have some ideas on how to fix this, but I don't have the time at the
moment.

Short version: The hosts shouldn't reboot themselves as long as they can
reach other nodes or it should at least be configurable.

The management server should also do further inspection during HA by
using a helper on the KVM Agent.

Wido

Posted by France <ma...@isg.si>.