Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Philippe Mouawad <p....@ubik-ingenierie.com> on 2017/10/23 18:19:36 UTC

Re: SampleSender modes

Hi,
Any feedback on this ?

Regards

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

UBIK LOAD PACK Web Site <http://www.ubikloadpack.com/>

UBIK LOAD PACK on TWITTER <https://twitter.com/ubikloadpack>

Re: SampleSender modes

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> These "modes" are actually "services". When you configure the mode in
> some .properties file you basically pick which service gets used.
>
> We should not have a SampleSenderFactory that does an `if` on modes,
> we should have a more generic mechanism where any such sample sender
> implementation might exist.

Agree, feel free to provide a PR.

> When looking at things like this, I don't see how a mode existing or
> not bothers anybody. Why shouldn't I be able to use a RAMdisk and use
> the 'DiskStore' "mode"?

So this would justify keeping Disk modes although user wouldn't have any
feedback on test until finished...

> Did you know Google Cloud has instances with
> hundreds of GB of RAM? Rather cheap too if you only needs if a few
> hours!

If you're speaking about Hold mode, what about the required JVM Heap and GC
impact.
I am not convinced it should be kept and have dropped it meanwhile.
But if you think it should be kept , I am ready to reconsider.

Still, I think we have too many options here.

> > Any issue in network or injector will loose results.
>
> Any reason JMeter server has to be so brittle?

Lack of time and contributions,  not my priority until now....

> Instead of dropping modes, I'd say we focus on doing a sample sender
> infrastructure where bi-directional connections aren't mandatory (drop
> Java RMI) and allow some network hiccups (have some buffered message
> queues or something).

Yes, it has been discussed in the past, but no progress made.
I'd be more than happy to consider a PR.

> My 2c.

Thanks

Re: SampleSender modes

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
These "modes" are actually "services". When you configure the mode in
some .properties file you basically pick which service gets used.

We should not have a SampleSenderFactory that does an `if` on modes,
we should have a more generic mechanism where any such sample sender
implementation might exist.

When looking at things like this, I don't see how a mode existing or
not bothers anybody. Why shouldn't I be able to use a RAMdisk and use
the 'DiskStore' "mode"? Did you know Google Cloud has instances with

Re: SampleSender modes

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.