Posted to dev@manifoldcf.apache.org by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/07 15:08:52 UTC

Anybody know legality of saaj-impl-1.3.jar?

Hi all,

The ManifoldCF has had a connector contributed that is based on Apache
Chemistry.  The dependencies of Apache Chemistry include
activation-1.1.jar and saaj-impl-1.3.jar, both of which seem to be
from Sun, and are (I believe) covered by the Sun/Oracle license.  I
was told a while back that activation.jar could not be included in MCF
for this reason, but that there was a geronimo-activation.jar
available instead, which is what ManifoldCF uses.  But I don't know
about saaj-impl.

(a) Does anyone know if there's an Apache-licensed replacement for saaj-impl?
(b) Should somebody tell Chemistry that they may have a license problem?

Thanks!
Karl

Re: Anybody know legality of saaj-impl-1.3.jar?

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
Geronimo provides artifacts for all java specs.

You can have a look here:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/geronimo/specs/

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

Apache ServiceMix <http://servicemix.apache.org/>  Committer
*

Re: Anybody know legality of saaj-impl-1.3.jar?

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Yes, of course, I asked the contributor to post on your list. ;-)  But
it looks like that's not necessary now.

Karl

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Thursday, July 07, 2011 9:23:21 AM Daniel Kulp wrote:
> On Thursday, July 07, 2011 9:08:52 AM Karl Wright wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The ManifoldCF has had a connector contributed that is based on Apache
> > Chemistry.  The dependencies of Apache Chemistry include
> > activation-1.1.jar and saaj-impl-1.3.jar, both of which seem to be
> > from Sun, and are (I believe) covered by the Sun/Oracle license.  I
> > was told a while back that activation.jar could not be included in MCF
> > for this reason, but that there was a geronimo-activation.jar
> > available instead, which is what ManifoldCF uses.  But I don't know
> > about saaj-impl.
>
> The recent versions of most of that stuff is CDDL which is OK (category b
> license) for shipping the binaries.     Definitely use 1.3.2 though:
>
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/sun/xml/messaging/saaj/saaj-impl/1.3.2/

FYI:  the home page:
http://java.net/projects/saaj
explicitely shows CDDL license.

Dan

> Dan
>
> > (a) Does anyone know if there's an Apache-licensed replacement for
> > saaj-impl? (b) Should somebody tell Chemistry that they may have a
> > license problem?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Karl

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://dankulp.com/blog
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Anybody know legality of saaj-impl-1.3.jar?

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 7, 2011, at 9:40 AM, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> On Thursday, July 07, 2011 9:32:37 AM Karl Wright wrote:
>> OK - so now I'm getting conflicting advice.  Somebody went through a
>> fair bit of effort to implement the geronimo versions of all these
>> packages, including saaj-impl.  Are you saying that Sun/Oracle
>> recently changed the licensing terms sufficiently that substituting
>> the geronimo jars is no longer necessary?
>
> I wouldn't say recently, but yes.  They did change licenses a while ago *for
> new releases* from BCL to CDDL which moved them from Category X to Category B.
> So yes, substituting the geronimo jars in MOST cases is no longer necessary.

Agreed.

> However, not all of the Sun jars have had a new release with the new License.
> That said, may folks would prefer the Apache licensed versions.
>
> That said, you specifically asked about saaj-impl, not saaj-api.   Geronimo
> doesn't have a saaj-impl.  The closest at Apache would likely be in Axis.   I
> believe they have an saaj-impl based on Axiom someplace.  Geronimo does have
> an saaj-api I believe.
>

>> If so, what caveats do I
>> need to include in NOTICE.txt and LICENSE.txt, or should I just copy
>> whatever Chemistry does?
>
> Well, you'd need to mention the CDDL license for the saaj-impl in the
> LICENSE.TXT.

Adding a bit more background:

saaj-impl (and many of the other implementations/specs) are dual licensed GPL v2 and CDDL. Any ASF project should choose CDDL. I had thought that the procedure for this was to include both of the licenses, then explicitly choose the preferred license. Looks like I'm wrong/out-of-date. Only the CDDL license should be included. See http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#mutually-exclusive for details.

--kevan

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Anybody know legality of saaj-impl-1.3.jar?

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks - that's sufficient as far as I am concerned. ;-)
Karl

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is no conflict. I just told you that Geronimo provides its own specs,
> which are definitely safe to use. I don't know how safe it is to use the
> original ones, but I would trust Dan....

FWIW, Dan's saying that CDDL is ok comes from
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html, and the conditions for
using it are spelled out there.

-Bertrand

Re: Anybody know legality of saaj-impl-1.3.jar?

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
OK - so now I'm getting conflicting advice.  Somebody went through a
fair bit of effort to implement the geronimo versions of all these
packages, including saaj-impl.  Are you saying that Sun/Oracle
recently changed the licensing terms sufficiently that substituting
the geronimo jars is no longer necessary?  If so, what caveats do I

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Thursday, July 07, 2011 9:23:21 AM Daniel Kulp wrote:
> On Thursday, July 07, 2011 9:08:52 AM Karl Wright wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The ManifoldCF has had a connector contributed that is based on Apache
> > Chemistry.  The dependencies of Apache Chemistry include
> > activation-1.1.jar and saaj-impl-1.3.jar, both of which seem to be
> > from Sun, and are (I believe) covered by the Sun/Oracle license.  I
> > was told a while back that activation.jar could not be included in MCF
> > for this reason, but that there was a geronimo-activation.jar
> > available instead, which is what ManifoldCF uses.  But I don't know
> > about saaj-impl.
>
> The recent versions of most of that stuff is CDDL which is OK (category b
> license) for shipping the binaries.     Definitely use 1.3.2 though:
>
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/sun/xml/messaging/saaj/saaj-impl/1.3.2/

FYI:  the home page:
http://java.net/projects/saaj
explicitely shows CDDL license.

Dan

> Dan
>
> > (a) Does anyone know if there's an Apache-licensed replacement for
> > saaj-impl? (b) Should somebody tell Chemistry that they may have a
> > license problem?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Karl

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://dankulp.com/blog
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Anybody know legality of saaj-impl-1.3.jar?

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Thursday, July 07, 2011 9:08:52 AM Karl Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The ManifoldCF has had a connector contributed that is based on Apache
> Chemistry.  The dependencies of Apache Chemistry include
> activation-1.1.jar and saaj-impl-1.3.jar, both of which seem to be
> from Sun, and are (I believe) covered by the Sun/Oracle license.  I
> was told a while back that activation.jar could not be included in MCF
> for this reason, but that there was a geronimo-activation.jar
> available instead, which is what ManifoldCF uses.  But I don't know
> about saaj-impl.

The recent versions of most of that stuff is CDDL which is OK (category b
license) for shipping the binaries.     Definitely use 1.3.2 though:

http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/sun/xml/messaging/saaj/saaj-impl/1.3.2/

Dan

> (a) Does anyone know if there's an Apache-licensed replacement for
> saaj-impl? (b) Should somebody tell Chemistry that they may have a license
> problem?
>
> Thanks!
> Karl

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://dankulp.com/blog
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Anybody know legality of saaj-impl-1.3.jar?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Thursday, July 07, 2011 9:08:52 AM Karl Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The ManifoldCF has had a connector contributed that is based on Apache
> Chemistry.  The dependencies of Apache Chemistry include
> activation-1.1.jar and saaj-impl-1.3.jar, both of which seem to be
> from Sun, and are (I believe) covered by the Sun/Oracle license.  I
> was told a while back that activation.jar could not be included in MCF
> for this reason, but that there was a geronimo-activation.jar
> available instead, which is what ManifoldCF uses.  But I don't know
> about saaj-impl.

The recent versions of most of that stuff is CDDL which is OK (category b
license) for shipping the binaries.     Definitely use 1.3.2 though:

http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/sun/xml/messaging/saaj/saaj-impl/1.3.2/

Dan

> (a) Does anyone know if there's an Apache-licensed replacement for
> saaj-impl? (b) Should somebody tell Chemistry that they may have a license
> problem?
>
> Thanks!
> Karl

Daniel Kulp