Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/10 15:22:41 UTC

new monitoring solution available

Hi,

I've committed the changes needed to add jetm performance monitoring.
It uses Spring AOP and can be enabled/ disa bled by configuration for
every bean that we create.

The project home-page shows some stuff that you can do with it:
http://jetm.void.fm/views/monitoring_examples.html

It's in the same bucket as JMX but it has the advantage of being very
easy to enable/disable without code.

Cheers,

--
Ioan Eugen Stan
http://ieugen.blogspot.com/  *** http://bucharest-jug.github.com/ ***

Re: new monitoring solution available

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

2012/5/11 Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>:
> I knew Yammer, but not its metrics project.
>
> From first scan, it really sounds impressive: JMX/Http reports,
> Guice/Spring/Log integration, scala support...

Scala support. It does look interesting. Thanks Norman.

> Thx for the link Norman,
> Eric
>

> On 05/11/2012 07:06 AM, Norman Maurer wrote:
>>
>> Metrics is also a nice one:
>>
>> http://metrics.codahale.com/
>>
>> Bye,
>> Norman
>>

>> 2012/5/11 Eric Charles<er...@apache.org>:
>>>
>>> Also, did you look at the existing metrics we already have?
>>> http://james.apache.org/server/3/monitor-jmx.html
>>> How do you see them integrated?
>>> We'd better not stay with multiple monitoring systems.

It does support JMX exporting:
http://jetm.void.fm/howto/jmx_registration.html. I agree that we
shouldn't use too many things that do the same stuff. Performance
measuring is a cross-cutting concern and JETM integration is done with
minimal intrusion.

>>> We also need to document this new feature (optional or not, how to
>>> configure
>>> to enable, disable,...).

Yes, I will try to separate things as much as possible: extract the
all JETM configuration in a separate file that we can import from
server-spring.xml and probably make a maven profile that will add the
dependencies. After that I'll write a page that documents how you can
enable, disable stuff.

>>> Thx,

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
I knew Yammer, but not its metrics project.

 From first scan, it really sounds impressive: JMX/Http reports,

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.
Metrics is also a nice one:

http://metrics.codahale.com/

Bye,
Norman

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.
Hello Eric,

2012/5/10 Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>:
> Hi Ioan,
>
> Alternative solution could be servo [1].
> I didn't look at jetm yet but there are probably others.

Took a quick look at servo, and has a lot of potential. It's very new
so a lot of people didn't hear about it. I'm going to get a look at
it, maybe I'll use it to re-factor some code for more clarity and add
other metrics.

> Although MAILBOX-152 is created since long, I think it's worth to talk and
> announce on mailing list when introducing such components. Everybody could
> then propose alternative/better solutions.

You are right, but since nobody was against it and it required minimal
intrusion I decided to go for it.
I will be more verbose in the future.

As a note, servo also requires to write some code while jetm doesn't
so it can be turned off pretty easily.

JMX monitoring is more powerful than what jetm offers. If needed we
can provide jetm as an optional package since we can externalize it
into a config file and provide a special build profile to include it
so no harm done.

Since this discussion is open, let's have a "poll" to see what other
monitoring solutions are there.
If you've  worked with something else please share your experience.

Thanks,

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi Ioan,