Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com> on 2004/09/02 02:12:07 UTC

Build changes coming...

David Blevins and are working on simplifying the build so we can easily
produce daily builds.  The biggest change is the consolidation of
dependency version numbers into etc/version-info.ent file.  This makes
doing a build across geronimo, openejb, tranql and activemq much
easier, and makes upgrading individual libraries simple.

There are a few other minor things on the list:
* Finally moving the geronimo-spec/schema module to
modules/spec-schema, so we can remove the spec tree from our normal
build since it is slow
* Add ability to easily just build without assembly since assembly is
so slow
* Change build to not fork most tests since is is slow
* Add a -java-src artifact to the build that contains just the java
source for each module (makes debugger setup easier)

If there are any other (minor) changes, you want me to make while at
this, let us know, and if you don't like these changes please speak up.

-dain

--
Dain Sundstrom
Chief Architect

Re: Build changes coming...

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
David Jencks wrote:

> Depending on how ambitious you are feeling you might consider using
> multiproject instead of our homegrown solution.  Being able to select
> the modules and types easily is nice but I no longer think it is worth
> maintaining the jelly code to do it.  As I pointed out a few weeks ago
> it is already possible to build everything together using multiproject.

Hey,

I'm not Maven-savvy, but always wondering why do we have to maintain the
Jelly code if there's the Maven alternative - the multiproject support.
I'm +1 for using that feature.

I'd like to help transitioning to use the feature, but feel myself as
being not ready to do it alone. Some additional steps would be of great
help. I also think the transition would be a great place to start for
people  who question themselves what really needs their contribution.

> I haven't tried building the site using multiproject.

Let's put it straight: are there any volunteers to try it out? :)

> +1 on all the suggested changes

Me too - +1.

Jacek

Re: Build changes coming...

Posted by David Jencks <dj...@gluecode.com>.
Depending on how ambitious you are feeling you might consider using
multiproject instead of our homegrown solution.  Being able to select
the modules and types easily is nice but I no longer think it is worth
maintaining the jelly code to do it.  As I pointed out a few weeks ago
it is already possible to build everything together using multiproject.

I haven't tried building the site using multiproject.

+1 on all the suggested changes

We also need to separate each modules' deployment code into a separate
module, but this will probably be easier after your changes.

thanks
david jencks