Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Adam Fields <fi...@street86.com> on 2012/04/30 23:03:44 UTC

Proper commit behavior in a multi-writer environment

If I have 40 writers all feeding the same index, do they all have to commit, or just one of them?

Am I going to kill performance if they're all issuing individual commits, or would it be better to not have the individual writers commit at all and just have one process that does nothing but commit every minute or so?

What happens to docs that are added to a solr index but not committed? Are they just held in a queue until the next commit by anyone?

--
				- Adam
----------
If you liked this email, you might also like:
"Speed up the Dock animation in Mac OS"
-- http://workstuff.tumblr.com/post/21802026016
"How I came to love Jamie Zawinski"
-- http://www.aquick.org/blog/2011/11/29/how-i-came-to-love-jamie-zawinski/
"Hudson Streetlights"
-- http://www.flickr.com/photos/fields/6763398935/
"fields: MillionShort is a search engine that removes the top most popular site..."
-- http://twitter.com/fields/statuses/197057229403336704
----------
** I design intricate-yet-elegant processes for user and machine problems.
** Custom development project broken? Contact me, I can help.
** Some of what I do: http://workstuff.tumblr.com/post/70505118/aboutworkstuff

[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ].. Experience
[ http://www.morningside-analytics.com ] .. Latest Venture
[ http://www.confabb.com ] ................ Founder

Re: Proper commit behavior in a multi-writer environment

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Adam,

This is where autocommit (see solrconfig.xml) comes in handy.  Don't have them all commit, no. :)

Otis
----
Performance Monitoring for Solr - http://sematext.com/spm/index.html