Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com> on 2016/04/02 01:10:25 UTC

Re: Discuss: commit to Scala 2.10 support for Spark 2.x lifecycle

as long as we don't lock ourselves into supporting scala 2.10 for the
entire spark 2 lifespan it sounds reasonable to me

Posted by Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>.
Yes, some organization do lag behind the current release by sometimes a
significant amount.  That is a bug, not a feature -- and one that increases
pressure toward fragmentation of the Spark community.  To date, that hasn't
been a significant problem, and I think that is mainly because the factors
motivating a decision not to upgrade in a timely fashion are almost
entirely internal to a lagging organization -- Spark itself has tried to
present minimal impediments to upgrading as soon as a new release is
available.

Changing the supported Java and Scala versions within the same quarter in
which the next version is scheduled for release would represent more than a
minimal impediment, and would increase fragmentation pressure to a degree
with which I am not entirely comfortable.

Posted by Daniel Siegmann <da...@teamaol.com>.

Posted by Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>.

> are you sure that library is being properly maintained?

Almost by definition the answer to that is "No; a library that hasn't been
upgraded to Scala 2.11 is not being properly maintained."  That means that
a user of such a library is already facing the choice of whether to take on
the maintenance burden to bring the library up to date or to replace the
unmaintained library with an alternative that is being properly
maintained.  My concern is that either of those options will take more
resources than some Spark users will have available in the ~3 months
remaining before Spark 2.0.0, which will cause fragmentation into Spark 1.x
and Spark 2.x user communities.

Which is the bigger risk and cost, maintaining Scala 2.10 support for a
while longer or fragmenting the Spark user community with the 2.0.0
release?

Author: Programming Scala, 2nd Edition

Posted by Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>.
I agree with your general logic and understanding of semver.  That is why
if we are going to violate the strictures of semver, I'd only be happy
doing so if support for Java 7 and/or Scala 2.10 were clearly understood to
be deprecated already in the 2.0.0 release -- i.e. from the outset not to
be understood to be part of the semver guarantees implied in 2.x.

Posted by Mridul Muralidharan <mr...@gmail.com>.
In general, I agree - it is preferable to break backward compatibility
(where unavoidable) only at major versions.
Unfortunately, this usually is planned better - with earlier versions
announcing intent of the change - deprecation across multiple
releases, defaults changed, etc.

>From the thread, since scala 2.10 was default till last release, it
has been mentioned as a large disruption to drop support in 2.0.
The same applies for jdk 7 too unfortunately - since backward
compatibility is stronger guarantee in jvm compared to scala, it might
work better there ?

Regards,
Mridul

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.