Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Anil Philip <go...@yahoo.com> on 2007/04/02 16:18:28 UTC

is tomcat a competitor of ruby on rails? Or why did davidson praise it so highly - can you compare them?

I was surprised when I saw this high praise from James
Davidson, creator of Tomcat.
“Rails is the most well thought-out web development
framework I’ve ever used.
And that’s in a decade of doing web applications for a
living. I’ve built my
own frameworks, helped develop the Servlet API, and
have created more than
a few web servers from scratch. Nobody has done it
like this before.”
-James Duncan Davidson, Creator of Tomcat and Ant

http://www.rubyonrails.org/quotes

Is it so great? As a long time Java programmer, I
wonder. (Dont tell me we need to switch!).
-
Anil

Re: is tomcat a competitor of ruby on rails? Or why did davidson praise it so highly - can you compare them?

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Good Question!

Probably the one good reason why god created Apache HTTP Server ..Ruby
scripting language calls down to (native code) binaries on Apache HTTP
Server where code is sectioned to Model View and Controller architecture...
Assuming you are implement AOP in Tomcat via injectors with Struts 2 (which
also adhering to MVC architecture) on tomcat 5 /  tomcat 6 Catalina
connector then you would be using 2 different implementations for AOP
implementations of MVC Architecture
*As I am NOT a ruby expert maybe someone who is familiar with Ruby (on
Rails) can advise the implementation details and how they address each of
the Model View Controller layers*

HTH,
Martin--

Re: [OT] Re: is tomcat a competitor of ruby on rails? Or why did davidson praise it so highly - can you compare them?

Posted by Joe Riopel <go...@gmail.com>.
> No, you don't need to switch, but its definitely another tool worth
> looking at, even if the product isn't as good as the hype.

You might also was to check out grails while you're at it.
http://grails.codehaus.org/

[OT] Re: is tomcat a competitor of ruby on rails? Or why did davidson praise it so highly - can you compare them?

Posted by Andrew Miehs <an...@2sheds.de>.

Re: is tomcat a competitor of ruby on rails? Or why did davidson praise it so highly - can you compare them?

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.

> Is it so great? As a long time Java programmer, I
> wonder. (Dont tell me we need to switch!).

forget ruby on rails, sql on rails is what you want!
http://www2.sqlonrails.org/

:-)
Leon