Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Erik van Oosten <e....@chello.nl> on 2007/05/08 16:26:55 UTC

How do you replace a (non-optional) dependency?

Hello,

I am trying to switch from commons-logging to slf4j. I have seen many
message about this, but did not find one with a solution.

I understand Craig McClanahan who wrote that many poms are broken by
requiring optional things. But in general I must disagree. The point is that
those projects really depend on the commons-logging interface, even for the
most basic functions. In my case I want to insert another project (namely
the slf4j jar that implements the same public classes, and therefore has the
same interface as commons-logging).

I have about 60 external dependencies, of which only about 15 are declared
in my poms. I have yet to find a way to find all dependency to
commons-logging. Even if I did find a way, declaring the same exclusion 60
times is not an attractive solution.

Are there solutions I missed?

Otherwise, I would something like an <exclusions> element (with <exclusion>
childs) as a direct child of the <dependencyManagement> element. The effect
of this would be to exclude the mentioned artifact from any dependecy (even
those I did not specify).

Regards,
    Erik.

--