Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> on 2012/07/05 17:19:15 UTC

Re: [cloudstack-devel] Hyper-V Support

Hi Alessandro:

I just wanted to check and see how things were going and what kind of
progress you were making. Is there anything we can help you with?

--David

RE: [cloudstack-devel] Hyper-V Support

Posted by Edison Su <Ed...@citrix.com>.

Need to do the following:
1. Add a secondary CIFS resource, like NfsSecondaryStorageResource, which will be running inside SSVM. The main responsibility for this resource is to download templates from public network into CIFS storage. CifsSecondaryStorageResource is already in the code, but not sure what's status of it.
2. Add the CIFS code in your hyperv-v resource, for commands like, PrimaryStorageDownloadCommand(which will download template from CIFS storage)
3. Add CIFS support in AddSecondaryStorageCmd(the code is in discoverHostsFull in ResourceManagerImpl)

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 6:05 AM, Alessandro Pilotti <ap...@pilotti.it> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> we have some trouble with NFS to access the secondary storage as we are targetting Hyper-V server which, unlike Windows Server, doesn't have a native NFS client.
>
> How hard do you guys think it would be to add CIFS as an alternative to NFS in CloudStack?
>

> Thanks!

Alessandro -

Is there a place where we can see what you have thus far (github
perhaps?), perhaps others could help as well.

--David

Re: [cloudstack-devel] Hyper-V Support

Posted by Murali Reddy <Mu...@citrix.com>.
On 07/08/12 3:35 PM, "Alessandro Pilotti" <ap...@pilotti.it> wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>we have some trouble with NFS to access the secondary storage as we are
>targetting Hyper-V server which, unlike Windows Server, doesn't have a
>native NFS client.
>
>How hard do you guys think it would be to add CIFS as an alternative to
>NFS in CloudStack?

Its not that hard to support CIFS as secondary storage with limitations.
Just the way there is no native support for Hyper-V/Windows server to use
NFS shared storage, I doubt if there is support for CIFS across the
hypervisors (Xen, vSphere, Kvm, Ovm) that CloudStack supports today. So
multi-hypervisor CloudStack deployment with CIFS as only secondary storage
does not work. If we impose, in order to use CIFS as secondary storage a
zone should only have Hyper-v hypervisors in the deployment then this may
not be issue. Alternatively in multi-hypervisor deployment one could add
both NFS and CIFS secondary storage, and tweak CloudStack
planner/allocators so that a VM created from template on CIFS storage is
launched only on Hyper-V hosts.

Please note that SSVM (secondary storage VM) also works with NFS secondary
storages only. In order to make SSVM handle CIFS, you can introduce a new
SecondaryStorageResource implementation for CIFS and change the way share
is mounted in SSVM. Most of the helper scripts and implemented
functionality on NfsSecondaryStorageResource should work.

Posted by Alessandro Pilotti <ap...@pilotti.it>.
Hi guys,