Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Rahul Thakur <ra...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/18 08:36:36 UTC

Can't checkout trunk on Windows

Hi,

There seems to be resources under:
maven-embedder\src\test\error-reporting-projects\testReportUnresolvableArtifactWhileAddingExtensionPlugin\local-repo\org\apache\maven\errortest\testReportUnresolvableArtifactWhileAddingExtensionPlugin-maven-plugin

that causes the checkout to fail under windows.

Can someone on a non-windows box fix this please.

Thanks,
Rahul

Re: Can't checkout trunk on Windows

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
I'll get it fixed. I always forget about the constraints on windows
platforms...
On Jan 18, 2008, at 2:36 AM, Rahul Thakur wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There seems to be resources under:
> maven-embedder\src\test\error-reporting-projects
> \testReportUnresolvableArtifactWhileAddingExtensionPlugin\local-repo
> \org\apache\maven\errortest
> \testReportUnresolvableArtifactWhileAddingExtensionPlugin-maven-plugin
>
> that causes the checkout to fail under windows.
>
> Can someone on a non-windows box fix this please.
>
> Thanks,
> Rahul

---
John Casey
Committer and PMC Member, Apache Maven
mail: jdcasey at commonjava dot org
blog: http://www.ejlife.net/blogs/john
rss: http://feeds.feedburner.com/ejlife/john

Re: Can't checkout trunk on Windows

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
John,

I am unable too to do a fresh svn co from D:\t which t is the trunks.
As mentioned, the pb is in the error-reporting-projects:
D:\t\components\maven-embedder\src\test\error-reporting-projects\ ...
We need to allow a check out to a root directory without problem.

Could you reduce the dir names in the error-reporting-projects?

Thanks.

Vincent

Posted by Jörg Schaible <Jo...@Elsag-Solutions.com>.
yBenjamin Bentmann wrote:
>> There seems to be resources under:
>>
> maven-embedder\src\test\error-reporting-projects\testReportUnr
> esolvableArtifactWhileAddingExtensionPlugin\local-repo\org\apa
> che\maven\errortest\testReportUnresolvableArtifactWhileAddingE
> xtensionPlugin-maven-plugin
>>
>> that causes the checkout to fail under windows.
>
> The problem is the length of the path, its exceeds 256 charactes.
> While the Windows API can principally handle longer paths [0],
> applications need to take special steps to get this behaviour. Your
> SVN client most likely does not do this.
>

> Benjamin Bentmann
>

> [0]
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247(VS.85).aspx#
> maximum_path_length

Please be aware, that this also affects the Java VM (at least up to JDK 5)! And now imagine someone tries to release this on Windows. Then the complete structure is checked out in the target/checkout directory (16 characters more in the path) and the release plugin will simply fail because the tests cannot be run.

- Jörg

Re: Can't checkout trunk on Windows

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.