Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org> on 2002/11/29 11:35:49 UTC

Why WEB-INF/classes?

Is there any particular reason for building the WAR with xindice classes
under WEB-INF/classes? I'd rather go for the xindice-*.jar in
WEB-INF/lib that looks much cleaner, am I missing something?

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: Why WEB-INF/classes?

Posted by grenoml <gr...@yahoo.com>.

------
>From the servlet 2.3 specification, section SRV.9.5:

The contents of the WEB-INF directory are:
� The /WEB-INF/web.xml deployment descriptor.
� The /WEB-INF/classes/ directory for servlet and utility classes. The
classes
in this directory must be available to the application class loader.
� The /WEB-INF/lib/*.jar area for Java ARchive files. These files
contain
servlets, beans, and other utility classes useful to the web
application. The web
application class loader must be able to load classes from any of these
archive
files.
The web application classloader must load classes from the WEB-INF/
classes
directory first, and then from library JARs in the WEB-INF/lib
directory.
------

  There doesn't appear to be anything in the servlet spec that I could
find that would prevent anyone from doing this (putting all the classes
in WEB-INF/lib).  The only thing I can see that may result from placing
all the classes in a jar and putting them in WEB-INF/lib is that there
may be a slight performance penalty.

Regards,

Gerry Reno

http://mailplus.yahoo.com