Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/21 16:27:08 UTC

Felix on git(box)

Hi,

I know i've been dragging my feet with regard to the migration to git.
Unfortunately, I didn't find the time until now.

I would like to try to make some progress now and there are a couple
of points to consider namely,

- our website is currently based on svn and we are using the apache
cms which IIUC doesn't translate directly to the gitbox support.
- with the ip clearance done, Tom would like to have a separate repo
for atomos as there are several submodules in atomos already.

Hence, I would propose the following:

We create two git repos called felix-dev and felix-atomos and keep the
current svn for the website.

That would mean, we move all of the current svn/trunk into the new
felix-dev repo and put a Readme in the svn/trunk instead, pointing to
the two new repositories. That way, the website would still work as
is, the trunk would be in git, and we could give atomos a separate
repo.

Effectively, that would give us 3 repos on github for now namely,
apache/felix (which is just a Readme pointing to the other two repos),
apache/felix-dev, and apache/felix-atomos. If in the future we want to
move out other parts of the trunk into their own repo we could do so
if we think it makes sense.

I should be able to get that done next week and I'll start with it on
Tuesday unless somebody really is against it (in other words, I'm
calling for lazy consensus).

The alternatives I see are to either create a separate repo per module
directly or to convert the current svn to just be the felix repo which
would require to rework the website with asf.yml support and not give
Tom a separate repo for atomos. However, in both cases, we would need
some volunteers as I likely don't have enough time.

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: Felix on git(box)

Posted by da...@apache.org.
+1 from me!

David

Re: Felix on git(box)

Posted by Raymond Auge <ra...@liferay.com>.
+1

 (@rotty3000)
 (@Liferay)

Re: Felix on git(box)

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Felix on git(box)

Posted by Thomas Watson <tj...@gmail.com>.
+1

Tom

Re: Felix on git(box)

Posted by Georg Henzler <fe...@ghenzler.de>.
Hi Karl,

great to see this moving!

> in the future we want to
> move out other parts of the trunk into their own repo we could do so
> if we think it makes sense.

As the health checks are a fairly independent set of modules it would  also make sense to put them to a repo felix-healthcheck now that we are shuffling things around... I‘m happy to help to get it over. But if you prefer to keep things minimal I‘m also fine with the subdir in felix-dev.

-Georg

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Felix on git(box)

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.