Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by le...@biberbeatz.de on 2004/11/09 15:00:18 UTC

Experiences about implementation of features

Hi Users,

I  developed quite some questions when thinking about planning a
website based on Lenya. I also did some implementation as you can see
in the mailinglist.

I  just want to ask you if you have experiences in the following
fields with Lenya.
The live site section shows quite a lot features users have
implemented and I am asking myself how did they do those things.

Maybe you can give me a short hint, so I can investigate myself.

- Creating an automated sitemap page with links to all pages in the
publication

- Creating a printer friendly version for each page

- Does anyone have experiences using a non-table-based design using
only <div> tags? Especially editing them with the editors (BXE, etc.)
I had some problems especially with BXE (layer overlapping)

- I am looking for a concept how to create "teasers" e.g. like often
used by news papers (http://www.nzz.ch/) so that I can reuse the
content (teaser is automatically created based on the article page
itself).

Thanks for telling me your experiences and possible implementation
hints. It would make it much more easier to plan a site.

Jan

Re: Experiences about implementation of features

Posted by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.net>.
Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com> writes:

> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 lenyadev@biberbeatz.de wrote:
>
> > - Creating an automated sitemap page with links to all pages in the
> > publication
>
> Currently there isn't a transformer to create this for you.  I have
> a prototype that I plan on contributing shortly.  Its not difficult
> to create one yourself.

This can easily done with the navigation framework where you have all
the information available to create an automated sitemap page.

http://lenya.apache.org/docs/1_2_x/components/layout/navigation.html

> > - Creating a printer friendly version for each page

See xhtml-print.xml and the printer friendly pipeline in
publication-sitemap.xmap in the unizh publication.

> > - I am looking for a concept how to create "teasers" e.g. like often
> > used by news papers (http://www.nzz.ch/) so that I can reuse the
> > content (teaser is automatically created based on the article page
> > itself).
>
> We do something similar by using the xinclude transformer to extract
> content and meta-data.

You could also use the navigation framework to get the relevant
document-ids and use xinclude to get specific data from the documents
(i.e. teasers).

--
Christian Egli       christian.egli@wyona.net   +41 1 272 9161
                     Wyona AG, Hardstrasse 219, CH-8005 Zurich

Re: Experiences about implementation of features

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 lenyadev@biberbeatz.de wrote:

> - Creating an automated sitemap page with links to all pages in the
> publication

Currently there isn't a transformer to create this for you.  I have
a prototype that I plan on contributing shortly.  Its not difficult
to create one yourself.

> - Creating a printer friendly version for each page

I use exactly the same xhtml and use an alternate stylesheet.  See
next question.

> - Does anyone have experiences using a non-table-based design using
> only <div> tags? Especially editing them with the editors (BXE, etc.)
> I had some problems especially with BXE (layer overlapping)

Yes.  All our sites are constructed this way.  But we use a
different page aggregation approach than the standard xsl.  You have
to be careful with the z-index to have the layers properly ordered
in bxe.