Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Frank Cornelis <fr...@lin-k.net> on 2006/12/30 12:58:56 UTC

Waterfall build

Hi,

I've got this _big_ J2EE project with about 40 sub-projects. When I
change one of the JARs (for example the web service stubs 'xxx') I
always have to do something like:

cd xxx && mvn clean install && cd - && cd yyy && mvn clean install && cd
- && cd zzz && mvn cargo:undeploy clean package cargo:deploy && cd -

where zzz is an EAR sub-project. This because a top-level

mvn clean install

just takes too long and I want to keep the devel-deploy cycle as short
as possible.

What would be a very nice Maven2 plugin is a plugin that allows you to
do something like:

mvn waterfall:build -Dsource=xxx -Dtarget=zzz

The plugin then finds out what it needs to build to get the new xxx
correctly build into zzz.

Is there already a plugin doing something similar?

Regards,
Frank.

PS: please CC me as I'm not on the list.

Re: Waterfall build

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
you can do that with a continuous integration server like continuum

On 12/30/06, Frank Cornelis <fr...@lin-k.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I've got this _big_ J2EE project with about 40 sub-projects. When I
> change one of the JARs (for example the web service stubs 'xxx') I
> always have to do something like:
>
> cd xxx && mvn clean install && cd - && cd yyy && mvn clean install && cd
> - && cd zzz && mvn cargo:undeploy clean package cargo:deploy && cd -
>
> where zzz is an EAR sub-project. This because a top-level
>
> mvn clean install
>
> just takes too long and I want to keep the devel-deploy cycle as short
> as possible.
>
> What would be a very nice Maven2 plugin is a plugin that allows you to
> do something like:
>
> mvn waterfall:build -Dsource=xxx -Dtarget=zzz
>
> The plugin then finds out what it needs to build to get the new xxx
> correctly build into zzz.
>
> Is there already a plugin doing something similar?
>

> Regards,
> Frank.
>
> PS: please CC me as I'm not on the list.

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride