Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Gene Robichaux <Ge...@match.com> on 2014/09/04 14:29:43 UTC

Moving a server from one DC to another

I have a situation where I need to move a server from one DC to another DC. I am using the ProperFileSnitch and my cassandra-topology.properties looks like this.

Server150=CLV:RAC1
Server151=CLV:RAC1
Server152=CLV:RAC1
Server153=DPT:RAC1
Server154=DPT:RAC1
Server155=DPT:RAC1
Server156=DPT:RAC1
Server157=DPT:RAC1
Server158=DPT:RAC1

I need to move Server153 and Server 154 from the DPT DC to the CLV DC. The servers are not going to physically move and the names/IPs will remain the same.

Server150=CLV:RAC1
Server151=CLV:RAC1
Server152=CLV:RAC1
Server153=CLV:RAC1
Server154=CLV:RAC1
Server155=DPT:RAC1
Server156=DPT:RAC1
Server157=DPT:RAC1
Server158=DPT:RAC1

What is the best way to do this?

Do I just need to change the cassandra-topology.properties and restart the nodes? Do I need to rebalance after?
Do I need to decommission the servers one at a time, then re-bootstrap them using the correct DC?

Any help would be appreciated.

Gene Robichaux
Manager, Database Operations
8300 Douglas Avenue I Suite 800 I Dallas, TX  75225
Phone: 214-576-3273